• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue Salvation Army for Illegal Strip Search???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamerak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I was enrolled in the salvation army adult rehab program in alaska and was stripped searched for what they said was a cell phone... I feel like my rights were violated and I protested to the search.. After the strip search and no phone was found, 30min. later I was called into the office and was released from the program for what they said was, they found items in my locker.. I was a model benifiary in there program and believe the items were planted in my locker by staff.. ( i was not present for their locker search)... There was also one other person that was searched and not kicked out of the program and was appologised to emensly... from what I have heard, the staff can not detain or strip search you in this program. Is this correct?
I was there on a 3rd party bed to bed transfer from the alaska D.O.C., and have been told that if being strip searched a law enforcement officer has to be present during the search... I wish one was accually, Not only was I stripped searched, I was improperly handled - ( fondled), by the person performing the search... He was just hired approx. a week earlier and knew me from the streets years earlier, he is a drug felon on felony probation which I have questions about him being in charge of over seeing a large number of other addicts with drug problems also... I feel his actions were a way to get back at me for things in the past and not only was humiliating and degrading but also has cost me lost time and a difficult case due to be kicked out of the program... Is what he did legal and if not what can I do??... Any advise would be very apprciated... Thanks...

Mass_Shyster

If you consented to the search, there's really nothing you can do.

If they forcibly removed your clothing, it could be a battery.

If they forcibly detained you, it could be false imprisonment.

If force was used, see an attorney.

commentator

Whether or not you knew or approved of their employee is not going to be an issue you can run with. Most drug treatment programs hire former addicts as workers. They seem very much able to hear the lies and recognize the addictive behaviors in others, more somehow than people from other walks of life. It's not uncommon in small places for you to know your jailers, your police officers, and your lawyers and judges, yet you still have to be in the cj system. As for whether or not he "groped" you while searching you, is it on camera? Did others observe it?Your word against his is going to be difficult to prove.

And very related, where are you now? Back in D.O.C. custody?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that the search was consented to as a condition of residency in the program.

dreamerak

Whether or not you knew or approved of their employee is not going to be an issue you can run with. Most drug treatment programs hire former addicts as workers. They seem very much able to hear the lies and recognize the addictive behaviors in others, more somehow than people from other walks of life. It's not uncommon in small places for you to know your jailers, your police officers, and your lawyers and judges, yet you still have to be in the cj system. As for whether or not he "groped" you while searching you, is it on camera? Did others observe it?Your word against his is going to be difficult to prove.

And very related, where are you now? Back in D.O.C. custody?
As of now I am out on bail but in D.O.C. custody.... Due to being released from the program 10 days before graduating the 6 month program, I was in violation of conditions of release... As I stated earlier, I was under the assumption that a privatised facility i.e. ( substance abuse treatment center, halfway house, etc.) had to have either a D.O.C. officer or law enforcement officer present during the search... I know that the halfway houses in Alaska Will not strip search you unless law enforcement is present.. I know this due to being in one a while back and asking the director and many staff members... As for being groped, No it was not on camera due to it being done in the bathroom but I was physically lead to the bathroom for the search, which might be on camera but have a feeling thats been long taken care of by now...

dreamerak

Without being coy or obtuse, what did they 'find'?

Some fake toy costume jewelery.... and some junk... so stupid I don t even remember what it was but it couldnt of had a value of over a dollar.... it was rediculous, I worked at 3 of their different stores as donation collector, if I wanted to steal something I'll garauntee it would be for something WAY more expensive than a 10 cent plastic necklace.... besides that all they found was...... well use your imagination.... LOL....

Proserpina

Some fake toy costume jewelery.... and some junk... so stupid I don t even remember what it was but it couldnt of had a value of over a dollar.... it was rediculous, I worked at 3 of their different stores as donation collector, if I wanted to steal something I'll garauntee it would be for something WAY more expensive than a 10 cent plastic necklace.... besides that all they found was...... well use your imagination.... LOL....

Huh.

It seems that you're the only one LOL-ing.

I wonder why that is?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A long time ago when I supervised the parking attendants at a small local amusement park, I realized that the folks who were off by large amounts weren't the folks stealing from the till. It was the folks who were off by a few dollars every day...

Hot Topic

Interesting to know that you would be willing to steal provided the items had a value you found acceptable.

If you stay out of trouble, then you don't have to worry about it catching up to you.

As of now I am out on bail but in D.O.C. custody.... Due to being released from the program 10 days before graduating the 6 month program, I was in violation of conditions of release... As I stated earlier, I was under the assumption that a privatised facility i.e. ( substance abuse treatment center, halfway house, etc.) had to have either a D.O.C. officer or law enforcement officer present during the search... I know that the halfway houses in Alaska Will not strip search you unless law enforcement is present.. I know this due to being in one a while back and asking the director and many staff members... As for being groped, No it was not on camera due to it being done in the bathroom but I was physically lead to the bathroom for the search, which might be on camera but have a feeling thats been long taken care of by now...
Well obviously you were misinformed by the staff at your prior halfway house. If you are a ward of the state (i.e. in DOC custody) they are 100% allowed to strip search you for contraband. This is true even when you are in a private facility. They are a contractor for the state, as you said this was a bed to bed transfer.

One might wonder why you would be so concerned about the strip search policy during your last halfway house stint. What were you concealing back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">