• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue someone who's abusing me online?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zweii

Hello,

I was googling my name and I found a website that has my first and last name in it's url address and it has my photos with inappropriate drawings on it and 'bad' words about my persona.

The website's address is ending on .com, I tried to see registrars details to see who doesn't like me so much, but all I was able to find is that the domain was registered with godaddy and the rest was saying that information is hidden. Probably person who did it also paid godaddy for the service to hide a name of the domain owner. Not sure if it's hosted in US or outside US.

What can I do in this situation?
Is there a way to make godaddy reveal owners details?
If godaddy goes for it can I sue the person who did it? On what grounds?

Please advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can you please explain - i would be able to do something if the person is in US?
Can I do something if registrar company is US (godaddy)?
The registrar is irrelevant.
If you're not in the US, then the cost to do something about this free expression would be prohibitive.

If you ARE in the US, the please give us the name of your US state.

zweii

The registrar is irrelevant.
If you're not in the US, then the cost to do something about this free expression would be prohibitive.

If you ARE in the US, the please give us the name of your US state.
Sorry.
The state is New York & Pennsylvania

zweii

What reason do you feel you have for suing? Has the posted material somehow harmed you monetarily?
I am not sure that these reasons are valid but:

1. site's web address is: www.myfirstnamemylastname.com
2. it has my picture
3. it say i am a d*ck, piece of sh*t and other insulting words
4. it has a picture of a man genitals near my mouth
5. it has some info from my Facebook, like the name of the city where I live, place where I work, names of my family members

mostly this site is harassing only me and it looks like some kid thought it's 'fun'.
It doesn't bother me much, but I wouldn't want someone to google my name and associate this page with me.
I want to do something about it - if that's illegal, I'd want registrar to reveal his details

zweii

And what damages have you suffered?

(Hurt feelings don't count.)
So in other words I can create a site using any real person name as it's domain and swear any way I want, put photoshopped pictures of the person having sex with animals and there's nothing he can do?

Come on, that can't be real.

Silverplum

So in other words I can create a site using any real person name as it's domain and swear any way I want, put photoshopped pictures of the person having sex with animals and there's nothing he can do?

Come on, that can't be real.
Put yet another way: What ill effects have you had as a direct result of the site?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We have a great deal of freedom in this country. Part of that freedom is freedom to be a jerk.

When you suffer some actual damages, as the law sees damages, come back and see us then. Until then, don't go back to the website and you won't have to see it. He is free to have a negative opinion of you and he is free to express it. Remember that little thing called the Constitution?

CdwJava

Anybody can sue anybody else for anything. The question is whether you will prevail or not. And that may depend on the damages you have suffered, and whether your state has enacted any legislation to make the actions you describe as unlawful in some way.

You can always consult an attorney and see how much it might cost you to take legal action, and what award you might receive if you prevail ... if any award is possible at all.

You might also consider finding out the host site and asking that they take it down - maybe pay an attorney to send a rather toothless "cease and desist" letter. But, such a letter MIGHT scare the host or even the perpetrator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">