• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can landlord discriminate and ban against dog breed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dc2010

I live in a mobile home park in Los Angeles County California and i have no rental agreement, month to month, other people have dogs, its just that my dog happens to be a "pitbull". My landlord sent me a notice that no pitbulls are allowed. "My landlord wants the dog out and after doing some research if found this that according to California Food and Agricultural Code Division 14. Article 5 - Sec 31683
( Source: www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fac&group=31001-32000&file=31681-31683 )
it states that "no program regulating any dog shall be specific as to breed"

Does this law mean he CAN NOT "regulate" a breed (in my case a pitbull)?

dc2010

i was asking something slightly different last time. Last time i was focusing on the beginging statement, this time i am focusing on the ending of that section. I dont see how he can if law specifically says "no program regulating
any dog shall be specific as to breed." and yet you are saying someone can. see there is a disagreement...Do u think this is worth taking to court and let a judge figure it out?

racer72

The link you supplied only applies to government agencies, not to the owners of private property. The only restriction listed (Section 122331) only applies to spaying and neutering of animals. Yes, the property owner can restrict what breeds you have on his property.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks racer for clarifiying that it only applies to government agencies, i didnt know.
Really?

Here is the FULL text of the section you cited:

31683. Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to prevent a city
or county from adopting or enforcing its own program for the control
of potentially dangerous or vicious dogs that may incorporate all,
part, or none of this chapter, or that may punish a violation of this
chapter as a misdemeanor or may impose a more restrictive program to
control potentially dangerous or vicious dogs. Except as provided in
Section 122331 of the Health and Safety Code, no program regulating
any dog shall be specific as to breed.

It's right there...clear as day. The first sentence makes it clear that it applies to city/county programs.

dc2010

haha home guru, mr smarty pants, i would then tell the LL maybe he should get a lion or tiger too, he might like it, hey if mike tyson could do it maybe we can too. Never know...fight for your rights!

Hot Topic

Where I am in California, work is underway on forcing pitbull owners to have their dogs neutered or spayed. The dogs, which according to one television show, are the "best dogs in the world," have accounted for a number of deaths.

divona2000

Landlord is right to be worried. During just the months of July and August 2010, in the USA, 9 people were killed by dogs. At least 14 dogs were involved in these killings, of which at least 9 were pit bulls, 2 German Shepard mixes, 1 Lab mix, 1 Boxer, 1 unk).
However, any dog can kill, in 2000 a 6-week-old baby was killed by her family's Pomeranian, which weighed about 4 pounds. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition)

cyjeff

While I certainly agree that aggressiveness is more about the owner of the animal than the animal's breed, there is no reason why a breed (or, more specifically, a series of breeds that all fall under "pit bull") may not be singled out.

Banned_Princess

While I certainly agree that aggressiveness is more about the owner of the animal than the animal's breed, there is no reason why a breed (or, more specifically, a series of breeds that all fall under "pit bull") may not be singled out.
Dogs do not have the human right to equality. Sorry OP. I know you must love your dog, I love my gentle pits, but they have no rights, thet are just property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">