• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a private Catholic High School Charge more if you are not Catholic?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAD10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA.
I went to PIUS X high school-I was talking to an old friend -whom has children
enrolled at said school.
She stated that they charge more still-if the student enrolling is not Catholic.
Is that legal?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA.
I went to PIUS X high school-I was talking to an old friend -whom has children
enrolled at said school.
She stated that they charge more still-if the student enrolling is not Catholic.
Is that legal?
Yes it is perfectly legal.

Mass_Shyster

A fair amount of the funding for Catholic schools comes from the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church gets its money from the Catholics attending Sunday Mass.

Non-Catholics do not contribute to the church, therefore do not contribute to the schools.

DAD10

I remember a few friends that were not Catholic (not that it mattered) -and as a result had to pay more tutition. Makes sense now.
Thanks

CdwJava

Sometimes non-Catholic children are sent to Catholic schools because they're the best in the area.
Where I lived in San Diego, we had many non-Catholics for just that reason. Probably less than half of the students were members of the two parishes that were considered "home" for the school.

FlyingRon

A fair amount of the funding for Catholic schools comes from the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church gets its money from the Catholics attending Sunday Mass.
They get their money from those who contribute to the church. No charge is made for attending Mass. A world of benefits is available to those known to the church treasury.

frylover

The Catholic schools in my area have THREE levels of tuition, in-parish Catholic, out of Parish Catholic, and non Catholic.

CdwJava

The Catholic schools in my area have THREE levels of tuition, in-parish Catholic, out of Parish Catholic, and non Catholic.
That is the same case out here for many of the schools I know of. Our local parish was looking to start a school and was looking at the same tiered structure plus the addition of scholarships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">