• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a public school charge a student to park?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legaladvice1960

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois Is it legal for a public school to charge my child to park? I am a tax payer and this is a public school/parking lot. The school tacked on a fee for him to park in the lot. Do I have to pay it?

tranquility

Parking in the lot is not a right. Reasonable fees can be charged. Now that I think about it, the fees don't even have to be reasonable.

Perky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois Is it legal for a public school to charge my child to park? I am a tax payer and this is a public school/parking lot. The school tacked on a fee for him to park in the lot. Do I have to pay it?
When my kids were in high school a few years ago, there were not enough spaces for all the kids who wanted one. To solve the problem, the school had a lottery every year to determine which students would have the privilege of paying for a parking space. Of course, many were ultimately denied. From this perspective, your son is lucky!

Now that my kids are in college at public universities in Illinois, they have to pay to park in university lots or on campus streets. Might as well get used to it. :p

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You pay to park in a public lot, don't you? Why should parking at the lot of a public school be any different?

ariastar

If it's a public parking lot, I guess that means you can go park your car there for free too!

All something being "public" means is that you have access to it. This doesn't mean it has to be free. Otherwise all pay parking lots would be illegal, all road tolls, San Francisco would owe over a zillion dollars in refunds for the Golden Gate Bridge's toll, etc.. You pay for the right to drive a car on a public road when you pay for your registration. Sometimes the upkeep of public property is assessed to those who actually use it rather than making everyone pay for everything they don't use.

Oh, and if the school is a public building, then I guess the theater should be free for anyone to use, as should the gym if someone wants to have a weekend kegger!! Amirite?

CourtClerk

Oh, and if the school is a public building, then I guess the theater should be free for anyone to use, as should the gym if someone wants to have a weekend kegger!! Amirite?
Apples and oranges... apples and oranges, even if your post did make sense, Gyms and Theaters are not publicly funded, they are private businesses. See why you should keep your posts to a minimum?:rolleyes:

Oh... and yes, you do have to pay for parking at the school if they want you to.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Apples and oranges... apples and oranges, even if your post did make sense, Gyms and Theaters are not publicly funded, they are private businesses. See why you should keep your posts to a minimum?:rolleyes:

Oh... and yes, you do have to pay for parking at the school if they want you to.
I suspect she means the school auditorium and school gym.

Nativity

Think about it more this way, your son pays to park in the parking lot, he'll feel more secure knowing his car is within reach and most likely safer than parked further away. While paying he is also giving back to the school that is providing him with an education to excel in life.

Public schools do not survive on tax-dollars alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">