• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell Phone Tracking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgski37

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Had a dispute with a licensed professional. Have reason to believe that a friend of this person, who is a police officer, gave the licensed professional the ability to track my location via cell phone. Sounds illegal. How can I check. I live in a small town, any inquiry I would make on my own would be all over town. I'm not seeking any compensation, other than having these so called professionals disciplined if its true.

What power/rights do police have. Can they listen to your calls, track your location. Is there a way I can be aware of it if they are doing this.

I've done nothing to warrant being under investigation by the local police.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Had a dispute with a licensed professional.
Since you did not mention what kind of "professional" this person was, I'll ask - what KIND of "licensed professional?"

Have reason to believe that a friend of this person, who is a police officer, gave the licensed professional the ability to track my location via cell phone.
What, exactly, is this "reason to believe?" A hunch is not evidence. Additionally, just what do you think that a police officer gave your foe that suddenly allowed him to "track" your location via your cell phone?

Sounds illegal. How can I check.
If true, and if the officer provided some device to allow a private individual to track you, it probably would be illegal. But, I'm still curious what kind of device you think the officer had access to that he provided this guy who you had the dispute with. Or, why the guy would care to follow your actions on a cell phone. It'd be easier to buy a GPS tracker and stick it on your car!

I live in a small town, any inquiry I would make on my own would be all over town. I'm not seeking any compensation, other than having these so called professionals disciplined if its true.
Proof ... you need proof.

What power/rights do police have. Can they listen to your calls, track your location. Is there a way I can be aware of it if they are doing this.
The police have the authority granted them under the law. They can listen in on phone calls and use tracking devices with a search warrant (there might be some exceptions if you are on probation or parole) or consent has been granted. It is exceedingly rare to possess any device or program that can either track a cell phone or listen in on calls, and a small town is much less likely to have such a device or program.

I've done nothing to warrant being under investigation by the local police.
But, from what you've said, an officer provided something to a "licensed professional" to enable him or her to track you ... that would seem to indicate that it is NOT the police. Or, is there something missing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">