• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Census intrusion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maria33436

Florida. I recently received a packet from the census with some very intrusive questions. They said that my address was chosen, not me personally, but want to know a lot of personal info especially what hours I am not home, and how far away from home I work. Do I, by law, have to answer these? Or since my address has been chosen, cant I just tell them the number of occupants?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

Florida. I recently received a packet from the census with some very intrusive questions. They said that my address was chosen, not me personally, but want to know a lot of personal info especially what hours I am not home, and how far away from home I work. Do I, by law, have to answer these? Or since my address has been chosen, cant I just tell them the number of occupants?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The Census ended 2 years ago in 2010. I find it very difficult to believe they are sending out additional questionnaires now for people to fill out.

Based on the kinds of questions being asked, I would refuse to respond entirely. These are not questions that are even relevant to the Census (I know, I worked on the 2010 Census as an enumerator). In fact, they seem almost too personal and I get the impression that someone may even be trying to pull some scam on you (When are you not home? How far away from home do you work? Those sound more like questions someone would ask when they are casing the place to rob it.)

Contact your local police department to make sure, but I am fairly confident that these are NOT legitimate Census questionnaires.

The Census ended 2 years ago in 2010. I find it very difficult to believe they are sending out additional questionnaires now for people to fill out.

Based on the kinds of questions being asked, I would refuse to respond entirely. These are not questions that are even relevant to the Census (I know, I worked on the 2010 Census as an enumerator). In fact, they seem almost too personal and I get the impression that someone may even be trying to pull some scam on you (When are you not home? How far away from home do you work? Those sound more like questions someone would ask when they are casing the place to rob it.)

Contact your local police department to make sure, but I am fairly confident that these are NOT legitimate Census questionnaires.
It's legitimate. The US Census bureau gathers data other than the census.

Census Bureau Surveys

This is likely the American Community Survey.

About the American Community Survey

sandyclaus

It's legitimate. The US Census bureau gathers data other than the census.

Census Bureau Surveys

This is likely the American Community Survey.

About the American Community Survey
Wow, that's very interesting. I had never heard about this before now. Thanks for the heads-up, Tim. :eek:

OF course, based on the things OP originally stated in her question, I'm sure you can see where I came to my (incorrect) conclusion that it sounded like some like of scam. But I stand corrected. :D

justalayman

So, who sent this to you and where are you to return it to. If it is the US Census Bureau (either a Washington DC or Maryland address I believe), it is likely legit.

If you are supposed to hand deliver it to:

the kid standing on the corner of Main and 3rd from 3-5 pm daily
I think we are looking at a scam

Maria33436

Thank you for all the replies. I am brand new to this site and just learning my way around it, but I like it already. The packet came from the board of commissions, and I will contact my local authorities. Thank you again.

sandyclaus

Ok lets say it is legit, is it really against the law to not fill it out? And what could I be charged with?
If it is legit, why not fill it out? All information gathered by the Census is considered confidential. They cannot share that information with anyone, under penalty of law. Plus, the information you provide helps out to determine distribution of resources for your community.

Check out the website. It lists the kinds of questions and tells you what information they are looking for and gives you examples of how it's used.

Proseguru

Ok lets say it is legit, is it really against the law to not fill it out? And what could I be charged with?
You could be charged with not filling it out. Never known anyone who has been charged .. its a law meant to push people into providing the information.

What hat I wear on Sundays is no business of the US Government.

You can likely toss it in the trash & have no further worries over it.

But on mine I put down that my household had 10,000 occupants and 3 aliens from Mars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">