• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

constitutional rights on a high school campus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

Carl, Google "Russell v. State, 74 S.W. 3d 887" and the first thing that comes up is "Body", with the body of the text for the case. The decision was that a police officer could search a student without a warrant OR probable cause - this particular student had baggy pants and refused teachers' requests to empty his pockets so the officer searched him.

As for my answer of "yes" to the original question asked here, "yes" is still a proper response to a question starting with "can". A officer may not always be allowed to conduct such a search, but an officer can conduct one (given the proper circumstances). ;)
It's a Texas case, anyway, and not applicable to CA law. Since the poster's question had to do with CA law, this case is not relevant.

- Carl

quincy

You are right, Carl, that the case I cited was from Texas and not California. I had a list of dozens of police-search-student cases from around the country and just posted the first few on my list - I was going to continue with the rest (some more appropriately from California) if Justalayman hadn't conceded. ;) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">