• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cops keep following me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kricer

What is the name of your state?State: Maine

I'm curious to know if in other states it's legal for a cop to follow your car more than 5 turns.

Ever since I put a body kit and spoiler on my car (because it's a show car), I've had cops following me without probable cause. They just keep an eye on me and wait til I do something wrong. It makes me very uncomfortable and angry. Why can't I drive around my own town without someone on my back? I don't even have a loud exhaust and I wasn't driving fast.

I was followed by an unmarked van for 7 streets. I thought it was some crackhead so when I got to a safe place I gunned it and had intentions of pulling down some streets to lose them. I was on my way home at 1:30am after work and as I am a female driving alone I am cautious about who follows me. I did not want to drive straight home. This van was a female cop and she pulled me over for speeding so I told her I thought she was some freak following me. I explained to her that I had encountered a similar looking van full of guys hooting and hollering at me the night before. She let me go but gave me a lot of attitude.

My friend has a Subaru WRX STI and he is also constantly getting followed. He drove in circle to see if the cop was following him then he just pulled over to let the cop past and the cop pulled behind him with his blues on! The cop came up to him and asked why he was pulling over! My friend replied "Because you're following me and I'd like you to pass me and get on with your business or find a real reason to pull me over and get it over with." The cop didn't have any excuse and got back in his car after he did the routine insurance/registration check.

Maybe you can help put to rest some rumors. I heard that in some states it's illegal for the cop to follow you for more than 5 turns. Is this true?

On the same subject, entrapment is legal in Maine but not Massechusetts. In Mass if a cop is sitting at his post with a radar gun, he must have his lights on. Here, a cop can sit his car behind bushes or other objects with all his lights off and trap you in a speed reduction zone. Anymore information on why it's legal in one state but not in other states?

Curt581

kricer said:
I'm curious to know if in other states it's legal for a cop to follow your car more than 5 turns.
There is nothing that says they can't.

No, it's not illegal.
I've had cops following me without probable cause.
Cops need probable cause to STOP you. They don't need probable cause to simply be BEHIND you.
They just keep an eye on me and wait til I do something wrong. It makes me very uncomfortable and angry. Why can't I drive around my own town without someone on my back? I don't even have a loud exhaust and I wasn't driving fast.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't after you.

If you build or modify a car to get attention, expect to get attention you don't like.
Maybe you can help put to rest some rumors. I heard that in some states it's illegal for the cop to follow you for more than 5 turns. Is this true?
No.
Anymore information on why it's legal in one state but not in other states?
The same reason lots of things are legal in one state, but not in another. Because the residents of that state decided to make it that way.

momof3kids831

I Got A Question!!!!

Why do you feel like they are watching and coming after you. I think that there is a LIL something you are leaving out. "IF" like you say , they are always after you have to give them a reason? What was it that you did that they are worried about you prowling the community..... Well, do as your freind did and try and pull out of their way with out making it obvious . If they pull you over tell them that you were nervous and did not feel safe as he was following you SOO CLOSE . You thought that you may have been in his way to get to something more important..... GL... And take off the new toys and maybe they will leave you alone... Heck of a way to enjoy the car you FIXED UP... Some cops got nothing better to do and they come up with STUPID IDEAS and you may have been it for the day.....lol :rolleyes:

kricer

Well it was just after 1am when I was followed so they were looking for drunk drivers. I wasn't driving differently than normal. Cops really have nothing better to do in Maine. There aren't enough criminals to keep them busy.

I was followed one other time by a cop so I pulled over. He hesitated then drove off.

There is nothing wrong with modifying cars. It shouldn't attract negative attention. I can't drive fast in this car because the bumper is 3 inches off the ground. If I hit a pothole I lose my bumper. I will never take the kit off. First of all, it's molded to the car, second of all, it's a trophy winning show car and the single most enjoyable hobby i've ever had.

cheers

momof3kids831

I did not mean take the items off your car by any means. Just take more care in driving in town so you give them NO reason to hassle you. Drive safe and take notes. If you feel real sure that this will go into a harrasment case then get a cam corder or the car and then take notes of whom pulls you over and take notes to when the same cop is messing with you...GL... Slow down and take it safe and give them NO reason to mess with you... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">