• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Country club guest discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

telstarjohn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

We recently resigned membership to a private country club in a gated community where we live, becuse of disagreements with the GM's marketing efforts for new membership and treatment of our minor son when employed last summer at the club.

My son went to the pool recently as a guest of current member and the GM approached only him at the pool and said there was a new policy prohibiting ex-members from being any members guest. I checked with current members and no one has heard such a thing, but can't rule out it may be written, but never enforced the ten years we were members.

The club has an attendent at the pool entrance where members check in guests, but no one checks anyone on how often they attend or if they were ever past members. So my son was singled out exclusively and the club has no checks and balance programs in place to manage this policy.

So is the GM discriminating against our son by not allowing him to be a member's guest because we're ex-members, but no other member's guest are checked? It feels very personal that the GM is making our life difficult because we exposed his lack of performance.

BTW, the club is now open for public golf play, facilities can be rented for weddings, etc and summer passes to the pool can be purchsed too by non-members. So the club really falls under the public accomidations area.

Do we have a leg to stand or do we tell our son he can't go to the pool even when invited by member's kids?

Isis1

Under what illegal discrimination was your son being discriminated on?

Age? Sex? Sexual Orientation? Disability? Race?

justalayman

Do you have any reason to believe it was some form of illegal discrimination and not simply because he doesn't like you and has extended that dislike to your son?

telstarjohn

Under what illegal discrimination was your son being discriminated on?

Age? Sex? Sexual Orientation? Disability? Race?
Selective enforcement of policy??? Not sure if it falls into discrimination when only one person is checked when all others (50 + people) are left alone. Would this be harassment or discrimination?

telstarjohn

Do you have any reason to believe it was some form of illegal discrimination and not simply because he doesn't like you and has extended that dislike to your son?
I know he doesn't like me and not sure about my son. He just knows his face and not many other members. Does it still make it right to enforse policy on one and not check all 50 people at pool. Just doesn't sound right a club can tell yu who is allowed as a guest unless enforced policy to all members.

My son is the only one asked to leave and not come back?

Antigone*

I know he doesn't like me and not sure about my son. He just knows his face and not many other members. Does it still make it right to enforse policy on one and not check all 50 people at pool. Just doesn't sound right a club can tell yu who is allowed as a guest unless enforced policy to all members.

My son is the only one asked to leave and not come back?
It does not appear to be illegal discrimination to me. In addition, you do not know that your son is the only person asked to leave and not come back ~ no way in Haedes you can know that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Discrimination is only illegal when it is based in a characteristic protected by law - race, religion, national origin etc.

Selective enforcement of the rules might violate the club policy but it does not violate the law.

And I agree that you cannot possibly know whether others were asked to leave and not come back or not.

justalayman

=telstarjohn;2825466]I know he doesn't like me and not sure about my son. He just knows his face and not many other members. Does it still make it right to enforse policy on one and not check all 50 people at pool.
so, he remembers your son and makes sure the rules are enforced. There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe the other people haven't caused the guy to have reason to remember their faces.

Just doesn't sound right a club can tell yu who is allowed as a guest unless enforced policy to all members.
it may not sound right or even fair. The only thing that matters is if it is illegal or not and it doesn't appear to be so/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">