• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court stalls ruling on Motion to Dismiss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohio - I am suing the State of Ohio on a wrongful taking of money case. There are many millions involved and the state submitted a motion to dismiss over jurisdiction. After my attorney replied, the state has had almost 11 months (and counting) to determine if they have jurisdiction or not. Is the court allowed to stall for the state while they cook their books. What legal action can I take to move the case forward? 11 months to determine if you have jurisdiction, seriously?

Follow the guidance of your lawyer. You cannot force a court to move forward.
Wow! I bet if the state was coming after me for stealing millions in State dollars, I'd be at trial already. Really gives a citizen confidence in the neutrality of the court system. Justice delayed is what...?

Proserpina

Wow! I bet if the state was coming after me for stealing millions in State dollars, I'd be at trial already. Really gives a citizen confidence in the neutrality of the court system. Justice delayed is what...?
To help with a little perspective, if this was family court a jurisdiction dispute could feasibly (and legally) take years to sort out.

tranquility

The court acts when the court acts. There are little guidelines as to how fast it must act. If you have a problem, talk to your representative in the legislature. Even then, it is uncertain they can demand. Balance of power and all that.

The court acts when the court acts. There are little guidelines as to how fast it must act. If you have a problem, talk to your representative in the legislature. Even then, it is uncertain they can demand. Balance of power and all that.
Thanks, at least you offered options....maybe some media may help.

RRevak

Ohio - I am suing the State of Ohio on a wrongful taking of money case. There are many millions involved and the state submitted a motion to dismiss over jurisdiction. After my attorney replied, the state has had almost 11 months (and counting) to determine if they have jurisdiction or not. Is the court allowed to stall for the state while they cook their books. What legal action can I take to move the case forward? 11 months to determine if you have jurisdiction, seriously?
I'm wondering how exactly the State of Ohio took millions from you. Your reasoning might be the reason they're taking so long...tin foil hats n all ;)

I'm wondering how exactly the State of Ohio took millions from you. Your reasoning might be the reason they're taking so long...tin foil hats n all ;)
Right, I'm hearing voices. No, actually it's called a class action and if you read back, I did not say they took millions from me. Two very competent law firms involved and the state's own records are at the root. The state is stalling and the courts are helping them. It's why people can not trust even the 'impartial' legal system. And people wonder why folks go postal. 11 months to determine if you have jurisdiction!

RRevak

A class action suit isn't what you presented here. Class action suits can take YEARS to litigate as there isn't one individual involved, there are many which makes the case much more broad and requires far far more time for investigations etc. 11 months for a large class action suit is nothing but a drop in the pan as far as time is concerned.

My post was edited before you replied. See the edited post.
I get that, but we can not even get started with all the discovery et, because the state has not answered the complaint and discovery is also stalled. Until the court says they can entertain the case, we can not even get started on all the stuff you mention, so this delay seems very unnecessary and is not in the interest of prompt justice. We face all the time issues you mention, but the court has so far kept the door closed. Other motions in civil cases before this judge are taking 45 days max for a ruling. Something wicked this way comes...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">