• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Trespass, Due Process, and Ordinance shortcuts... No problem says the city

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soundspawn

Dallas, Oregon

Sorry, this is going to be a long one... ***Skip to post 4/5 for super short story and questions***

In 2009 I was given permission to erect a "membrane structure" by the City Planner on my property in a location that would normally be restricted... the location was too close to the side lot line (side yard set back). I was told that membrane structures, such as tent canopies, metal standalone car ports, etc, are not considered accessory structures and are not subject to such restrictions and do not require permitting. I cleared out the land (it was rocky and had an old gate and small outbuilding in the way) beginning immediately, poured a concrete slab, and erected said structure. The process drug out quite a bit as I was doing it all myself, but the final product was done by fall 2011.

In May 2012 a Code Enforcement Officer dropped by unannounced and took a photo of the structure standing approximately 50 away from the street and on to my property, well beyond the front of my house and by all means in the curtilage, and proceeded to tell my wife (I was at work) that the structure violates building code and must be torn down. I tried to work with the city but long story short they are under the impression that it is attached to my house (it is not) and that it is too close to the side property line (because they say it is now considered an accessory structure). In correspondence from the city attorney it has been made clear that effective January 2010 all new secondary structures were to be considered accessory structures.

During the early part of the back and forth with the city I placed a no trespassing sign on my front porch (approximately 30 feet in front of the membrane structure and less than three feet off to the side of the driveway so pretty obvious placement). The same CEO as before visited me shortly after and upon his departure I sent an email to him, his boss, the City Manager, the City Attorney, and the County Sheriff (most of them CC'd) informing the city that he as well as anyone from the "Community Development Department" were not allowed on the property and that I was copying the County Sheriff to create a clear record that future trespass will be considered criminal. During the same email I pointed out that they continue to claim my structure is too close to the property line however they are measuring from the building to the fence and the fence is on my property (not on the line). As I measure it (based on a total of nine monuments that were located via a professional survey in 2010 for a fence project) I have 37-39 inches of space, however the existing fence was built way out of spec so it's about 20 inches from my building. I fear it's close enough that if they were to somehow establish it as an accessory structure, they could have some "expert" opinion that I'm actually at 35" somewhere and the whole thing needs demolished.

Anyway, about two days after the email to everyone and their dog, my wife witnessed a man in business casual attire over at the corner of our property nearest the street poking around. It is possible he stayed physically standing on the sidewalk. When he left my wife went out there and noticed a single freshly unearthed monument.

Another couple days later I received a letter from the City Attorney. He stated that the city had sent out an official who found a monument and from that monument they now know where the property line is. He stated that unless I provide a survey proving otherwise, they will cite me for being under 36" from the property line. He also stated that "simple observations" proves the structure is attached to my house and that since it is attached I needed a permit. He also confirmed that the change in codes (removal of all membrane structure designations) took place in early 2010. He provided an application and gave me approximately a week to comply. I responded within his time frame with an affidavit swearing that the structure is not attached, the structure violates no codes, and the fence does not run parallel to the property line (the fence runs a V shape, basically 10 degrees out of whack (west half runs 10 degrees southward toward the North center of the property, east half runs 10 degrees northward, and of course my structure sits right at the greatest distance from property to fence). As to the belief that one can draw a line with one point... at the distance from that monument to the front of my structure (approx. 70 feet) a 2.5 degree variance is over 36" meaning that margin of error alone would be the difference between totally legal and encroaching.

Then there was silence (basically June 15th or so on)... Until July 11th when I received a letter from a "Building Official" which stated it had "come to [his] attention that construction took place at [address] that requires a building permit." He provided an application, stated that the structure would have to meet today's codes, and that I had ten business days to comply. He cited 8.115(3), an ordinance giving a "Building Official" the right to issue an Order to Correct if he deems a State code was violated. I again submitted an affidavit within the dead line, swearing that the structure is not attached, violates no codes, and did not require permitting.

On Monday, July 30th the original/same CEO this time accompanied by a City Police Officer came to my door. I answered and the CEO explained that he was there to issue a pair of citations. I told the PO that the CEO was not allowed on the property, that there is written documentation with the County Sheriff and city officials establishing it. She said "It doesn't matter, this is an enforcement issue." After fighting them on that he issued me two citations and handed me a letter, then left.

The letter was from the Building Official, stating that I had failed to comply with his Order to Correct and that pursuant to 8.115(5)[sic] he was imposing an Administrative Penalty of $1000. The only references to codes/ordinances/etc were 8.115(5), ability to skip an order to correct in emergencies and repeat offenders, and 8.115(3), his right to issue an Order to Correct. I believe he meant to cite 8.115(4), his ability to impose an Administrative Penalty for failing to comply. The letter explained that I have a right to appeal and ten calendar days to respond.

I filed an appeal that Friday and in addition emailed the Mayor explaining in short the situation and in detail the trespassing that happened the previous Monday. I mentioned considering legal council for the offense but that I would prefer this whole mess just go away to everyone's mutual benefit, and asked him to intervene before things get even worse. He responded Saturday that he was forwarding it to the City Manager (Pro Tem); The City Manager responded Monday morning saying he would look in to everything and keep me apprised.

Later that Monday (August 6th) the same CEO and PO were at my door again; this time the CEO said he realized the citations he issued a week prior were missing information (date issued) so he was issuing new, replacement ones. I interrupted him and said "No, you both need to leave right now". The PO said "We are enforcing the law, we have every right to be here." I stated that there are Administrative Warrants for such things and that unless they have one they need to leave. She refused and said "You have to follow the law just like everyone else, we aren't leaving." I said "Yes, I do have to follow the law, and so do you, and one of those laws is that you can not stay on this property without a warrant or probable cause." Around that time the CEO held his hand out with the citations and said "I need you to take these from me." I said "I don't understand what you mean by saying it like that, but I think you both need to leave instead." The PO said "Just shove them in his pocket and we're done." I quickly opened my front door and hopped inside (not that I think I would somehow be free of an obligation to respond to the citations but because F*em if they won't follow the law I'm not going to make their lives easy... in my mind I already had the citations, this sounds clerical to me). As I went inside the PO followed me, stopped in the doorway, leaned in to my house (at least her upper half well inside the living room) and placed the citations on my shoe rack, several feet inside. This is the kind of lean where you hang on to the door frame as you go in because without a grip you would fall on your face. This really freaked my wife out and pissed me off. I said to my wife "Do you see that they won't leave, that they just came in our house?" Then they left.

Both of these recent Mondays the visit was about 8:15pm and unannounced.

So now at this point I'm looking at a court date (to plead not guilty and request trial) of 8/23 for two citations, one 2.2.030 (building standards, I'm sure this has to do with the side yard set back), and 4.2.030 (First time I heard about this one, it's some right to review new constructions that require permitting). I'm also looking at an appeal hearing somewhere between 10 and 25 days from now.

Last edited:

soundspawn

Part 2/2:
As to what I have gathered already:
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Oregon/dallas_or/dallascitycode/chapter1generalprovisions?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:dallas_or$anc=JD_1.052
There are a number of items that shall (as in must from what I understand) be included on the citation. We will focus on just two, "Whether a complaint has been filed at the time the citation was issued" and "READ CAREFULLY This citation is not a complaint or an information..." (paragraph that must be included). Please see:
http://www.oaca.org/files/2012UNIFORMCITATION.pdf
I received a Form 1 (except it says summons in the top right) with a From 9 back. Based on those two criteria I believe they were required to issue a Form 5 with Form 10 back (Form 5 has checkboxes for if a complaint has been filed, and Form 10 has the exact verbiage the code calls for).

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Oregon/dallas_or/dallascitycode/chapter1generalprovisions?f=templates$fn=altmain-nf.htm$3.0#JD_1.057
Basically, as explained to me by an Attorney, every one of the five trips here (first photo and contact with wife, follow up visit that lead to notice of trespass, monument scavenger hunt, and the two "we don't have to leave" drag outs) are unlawful. The city must provide 24 hour notice, present credentials before inspecting, and honor a request to leave. Also, what do you know, warrants are needed in those situations.

http://www.ci.dallas.or.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/825 - Page 6 - 1.2.070
If a development is approved before Jan 22, 2010 (as mine was) it is fine as approved.

http://www.ci.dallas.or.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/829 - Pages 8-9 - 5.2
Especially 5.2.030 which states that when development begins you are grandfathered in to the codes at the time. I have done none of the things that would disqualify me (such as moving or enlarging the structure) from this protection. I have cited this code since the first email I sent to the city on the matter.

http://www.ci.dallas.or.us/archives/30/2009-12-21%20Agenda%20Packet.pdf - Pages 6-13 + 34-39
This is the Senate Bill, State Interpretation/Modification, and City Ordinance all tying back to that Administrative Penalty. In all three the one thing that is very clear is that you must state (in the Notice to Correct AND the imposing of the Penalty) the state code/rule being violated for it to be lawful. "Write it, cite it" is pretty easy to understand verbiage if you ask me =P

I have consulted an Attorney who said I have a good civil rights case legally speaking but I lack the damages for it to be a financially good idea to pursue. Basically he said I would drag them through the mud and be awarded "about what an attorney will cost you in the process". He stated that the citations should not be a big deal at all because all the evidence is tainted due to 1.057 (including anything they did based on, say, the photo from the first visit). He said point out 1.057, show a few photos that show the structure is not attached, and remind the court that they have a burden of proof. I consulted this Attorney before finding 1.052 so I am unsure how damning that is (looks REALLY bad to me though).

What worries me is the Administrative Penalty. It looks like a Kangaroo Court; the guy who runs it is the boss of the guy charging me... he also gets to decide what is and is not evidence. His decision is final with no ability to appeal anywhere, and upon his ruling if found guilty I will start getting charged $1000/day until the code is complied with...

So my questions... Is the Administrative Penalty Constitutional? Is it enforceable when they botched the paperwork to impose the penalty in the first place? Can I provide photos of the structures not attached and the signed letter from the City Attorney stating that being attached requires a permit (which to me reads as attached=permit, not attached=no permit)? Can I really have no ability to appeal? Any advise on the citations, how to handle it in court? Do I have recourse for the trespassing and the way the city is dealing with my accusations of being violated? Color of Law, Due Process, Illegal Search and Seizure, Civil Rights Violations, anything? I remember reading somewhere that I can request the City Manager not be the one who runs the hearing if I believe there is a bias... should I do that (since after all he would be the one taking the heat if I in fact did sue the city as I've already told him I'm considering)? Can I have the citations thrown out on the premise they do not meet the required standard of 1.052? Are there concerns with them essentially just losing this complaint and filing new ones with the same info or is there something like a "Double Jeopardy" type protection. I'm looking at things like this that bring me hope that Double Jeopardy does apply to ordinances:
http://www.mtas.tennessee.edu/KnowledgeBase.nsf/0/CB8878BE30960BEA85256FAA005974DA?OpenDocument (Essentially dissects Supreme Court rulings to find that Ordinances are civil for all purposes except Double Jeopardy in which they are considered criminal and protected).

I'm sure the question will come up so I'll cover it now: the Attorney I consulted with was happy to help me out by pointing me in the right direction, but he will be teaching at the local Uni this fall so he said he wouldn't be available to represent me. He said I don't have anything to worry about but again that Administrative Penalty looks like such a fraud.

Thank you again for any advice, and thanks for reading; sorry again for the length.

P.S. The City Manager Pro Tem is "Pro Tem" because our City Manager of several years was arrested and charged with 17 crimes about two weeks ago, so the city is right in the middle of a scandal. I'm not positive how much that may weigh in to the decision making process there or if I can leverage that fact.

Mass_Shyster

Short version
  • City said tent's are not accessory buildings and require no permits
  • Owner poured foundation and erected tent-like structure
  • Code enforcement came by and said tent is in violaion of building codes
  • Owner said "Get off my land - you are trespassing"
  • Code enforcement came back with police and issued citations
  • Owner said "Get off my land - you are trespassing
  • Lawyer says code enforcment did not follow proper procedure and violated owner's rights.
  • Lawyer not willing to take the case - teaching somewhere
  • Hearing coming up but owner does not believe it will be fair

My guess is owner can comply with demand to remove tent, or can fight, spend lots of $$, maybe recover attorney fees, and will still be required to remove tent.

Last edited:

soundspawn

That is a decent short version, but it should read "did not follow proper procedure", and I would add that I have said "get off the property" as well as "no codes are being violated".

I will provide a short version of questions:
  • Does not following the requirements of http://www.ci.dallas.or.us/archives/30/2009-12-21%20Agenda%20Packet.pdf - Pages 6-13 + 34-39 (specifically, not stating which State Code they accuse me of violating; see "write it, cite it") invalidate the Administrative Penalty?
  • Does issuing an ORS 153.045/133.069 when the City Code requires they issue an ORS 133.068 invalidate the citations?
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/133.html
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/153.html
  • Am I correct in understanding Double Jeopardy applies to Ordinance Violations?
  • Can I do anything to ensure I have an unbiased Appeal Hearing to the Administrative Penalty, or does the answer to my first question safeguard me from an unfair hearing somehow (such as making the hearing itself unlawful)?
  • If the hearing is unlawful, who can I contact about it?

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

That is a decent short version, but it should read "did not follow proper procedure",
OK, fixed that.
and I would add that I have said "get off the property" as well as "no codes are being violated".
Not really relevant.
I will provide a short version of questions:
  • Does not following the requirements of http://www.ci.dallas.or.us/archives/30/2009-12-21%20Agenda%20Packet.pdf - Pages 6-13 + 34-39 (specifically, not stating which State Code they accuse me of violating; see "write it, cite it") invalidate the Administrative Penalty?
  • Does issuing an ORS 153.045/133.069 when the City Code requires they issue an ORS 133.068 invalidate the citations?
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/133.html
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/153.html
  • Am I correct in understanding Double Jeopardy applies to Ordinance Violations?
  • Can I do anything to ensure I have an unbiased Appeal Hearing to the Administrative Penalty, or does the answer to my first question safeguard me from an unfair hearing somehow (such as making the hearing itself unlawful)?
  • If the hearing is unlawful, who can I contact about it?
For the sake of argument, let's say that the faults invalidate the citations and that double jepoardy applies. They cannot punish you for THOSE citations. But since the structure is still there, they can now follow the proper procedure and issue new citations for the violations that exist today (or the date of the citation). In the end, you still lose.

Double jepoardy will not grant you immunity for future violations.

Lastly, if the hearing is unlawful, you can bring it to the state court.

soundspawn

Thank you for the response Stevef, I appreciate the insight

Not really relevant.
Understood, I only meant to include the fact that I am not ignoring what they are saying and being the "get off my lawn" guy, I've been trying to explain the situation and cite the codes that protect my structure from the accusations they have argued. It's only when they enter the property and refuse to leave or provide a warrant that the trespassing comes up.

For the sake of argument, let's say that the faults invalidate the citations and that double jepoardy applies. They cannot punish you for THOSE citations. But since the structure is still there, they can now follow the proper procedure and issue new citations for the violations that exist today (or the date of the citation). In the end, you still lose.

Double jepoardy will not grant you immunity for future violations.
So would you suggest I skip that part and focus instead on presenting photos demonstrating the structures are not attached (which is easy, there are cables, daylight and visible gaps between them)? Does the nonconforming structure or existing approval codes help me stay under the provisions of 2009 (where my structure is legal and approved by the City Planner)? I'm referring to
respectively. As I understand it, the side yard set back is only a violation if the structure wasn't approved, and the structure was approved based on it not being attached; so if it's not attached, no violations exist.

Lastly, if the hearing is unlawful, you can bring it to the state court.
Is that a legal filing, suing the City, etc, or more "Contact the Governor" type "bring it"? Can you offer any opinion as to whether it is unlawful?

CdwJava

Have you considered simply allowing them onto the property so they can actually see that their presumptions are incorrect?

Your photos might only be evidence if they are stipulated to. And the city may not be willing to stipulate that they are true and accurate representations of the structure in question.

It would seem to me that the easiest and cheapest course of action here would be to let them in, show them the addition and how it does not violate their rules, and hope that there are not some OTHER rules it DOES violate.

As long as it is under a cloud and the city states that they believe this is an unpermitted addition, you might find that any damage to this structure or caused as a result of it might not be covered by insurance. That has happened with unpermitted additions here, and I suspect similar insurance rules are in place in your state. if the city can inspect, verify no permit is required, it would seem this would be over.

soundspawn

Have you considered simply allowing them onto the property so they can actually see that their presumptions are incorrect?

Your photos might only be evidence if they are stipulated to. And the city may not be willing to stipulate that they are true and accurate representations of the structure in question.

It would seem to me that the easiest and cheapest course of action here would be to let them in, show them the addition and how it does not violate their rules, and hope that there are not some OTHER rules it DOES violate.

As long as it is under a cloud and the city states that they believe this is an unpermitted addition, you might find that any damage to this structure or caused as a result of it might not be covered by insurance. That has happened with unpermitted additions here, and I suspect similar insurance rules are in place in your state. if the city can inspect, verify no permit is required, it would seem this would be over.
I would have considered it three months ago had they asked, but I'm kind of butt-hurt now. A disturbing aspect is that no where along the way have they acknowledged the structure has been complete for nearly a year, but they often state that it must meet today's codes. I have no clue if it meets today's codes, I had it approved in 2009. Since the set back requirement for an accessory structure is 36" and I have just barely that, I'm concerned they would bring and "expert" who would say I'm off by a couple inches and now must get a variance, pay a fee for not obtaining one up front, do a full formal review, get a permit, etc. Probably get denied after all the rigamarole anyway and have to tear it down.

Given how this has played out thus far, I don't trust them at all to do the right thing. For example (forgot to mention this earlier) the CEO when he issued the unlawful citations (the ones he came back later to replace), maybe 30 seconds after handing me the citations, looked at the structure; I pointed out the gap between structures, the cables dangling loosely between them, that I can run my hand between the exterior siding of my house and the stud of the structure... then asked him if he sees anything at all that leads him to believe they are attached. He said "No, I can't see anything but this is all I have to go on" - not sure what he meant by that, but speaking literally he said all he has to go on is not seeing a violation(?) I have this on a security camera (of course with no audio, my luck, but the PO was present). If they will hand me a document swearing they have reason to believe it is attached and a minute later tell me they can see no evidence of the violation... I don't feel good about cooperating.

CdwJava

I would have considered it three months ago had they asked, but I'm kind of butt-hurt now. A disturbing aspect is that no where along the way have they acknowledged the structure has been complete for nearly a year, but they often state that it must meet today's codes. I have no clue if it meets today's codes, I had it approved in 2009.
I don't recall anywhere that you have mentioned that there exists WRITTEN approval that your addition was okayed. A verbal okey-dokey is not likely to cut it unless the official that issued it is available to testify as to his verbal okay. I do recall that you wrote that the project was completed some years later which may well provide a reasonable argument that it now falls under the new codes. I don't suspect that a waiver or permission exists ad infinitum in your state - it doesn't out here.

Since the set back requirement for an accessory structure is 36" and I have just barely that, I'm concerned they would bring and "expert" who would say I'm off by a couple inches and now must get a variance, pay a fee for not obtaining one up front, do a full formal review, get a permit, etc. Probably get denied after all the rigamarole anyway and have to tear it down.
That's a possibility. But, you may be in a position where that will happen anyway - after you have spent thousands more trying to defend it. In the end, it's likely that they will get their inspection. At this point, they have noting to go on but what they think they can see from the street. I strongly suspect that a court will order an inspection in order to resolve the question.

On the other hand, if your city is like those here there is a process by which you can seek a waiver through a local planning commission or city council. That might be the best and least messy way for everyone to get what they want - provided your structure is not blatantly in violation of some other ordinance or otherwise clearly unsafe.

soundspawn

Imagine how butt-hurt you'll feel when that $1000/day fine kicks in.
So go against what I think is right, forget that they gave me permission and have codes in the books that are there so people like me may rely on that permission past the time is was given, disregard the overwhelming feeling that they will find a way to get at least $1,000 out of me by way of inspections and finding something, anything...

and instead just concede to the intimidation, even if the Administrative Penalty is pretty clearly (to me) unlawful as imposed? I think I can do a little better than that. I think I owe myself and everyone else in my city better than that. They have to at least meet the standards of their own process. If that means I wipe these citations and they do it all over again and I am found guilty, so be it, but there is no way I'm going to let them be this sloppy, trample me, and then give in because I'm afraid they will bill me.

Seriously, isn't there at least a Due Process problem with "Hi I'm a City Employee. I think you broke a State Building Code, I may or may not have evidence to support this, I certainly have none I care to share with you. I'm going to utilize a code that was created recently, more recently than the structure we're talking about, to fine you. I'm only going to use the first half of the code though and skip some of the requirements, such as notifying you as to which code I think you broke; instead I'm going to just find you guilty. If you don't like that, my boss (who authorized me to do this) will hear your appeal in an environment where he writes the rules, he will determine what is and is not evidence, and where what he says goes. After he decides, there are no more appeals."

tranquility

I would say a verbal okey-dokey would not suffice (even if the okey-dokeyer testified) to overcome building codes and statutes. But other than that, I agree with Carl.

soundspawn

I don't recall anywhere that you have mentioned that there exists WRITTEN approval that your addition was okayed. A verbal okey-dokey is not likely to cut it unless the official that issued it is available to testify as to his verbal okay.
Written approval no. I sent my request in writing, he responded via phone call (we had been going back and forth a bit and I had a little report with him) he had very much a "oh no problem, those are everywhere and it's fine, no permit no issues whatsoever just keep it further from the street than the front of your house and we're happy" type explanation and said I don't need anything from him or anyone else. He however has admitted during this confrontation that when looking at the original request in 2009 he stands by giving me permission and even went so far as to say that unless I modified the structure somehow since then 5.2.030 should apply, "but I have a boss and I have to report to him and he says you need to get a permit." He explained that I made it "look too nice" (I had the slab buried just enough that the roofs come together really nicely so it looks fairly professional) and that he approved "the kind of thing three or four guys can pick up and move around." The model I asked for permission to put up was a 12x40, about 10 feet tall. The model I ended up with was the slightly shorter 12x31, same manufacturer, and these dimensions were in the written request. Given the weight of the supplies, four guys could easily pick it up and move around what I have but I'm not going to try it just to find out (especially when 5.2.030 specifies you can not move protected structures).
I do recall that you wrote that the project was completed some years later which may well provide a reasonable argument that it now falls under the new codes. I don't suspect that a waiver or permission exists ad infinitum in your state - it doesn't out here.
It was not completed until some years later but I sought out and received permission in 2009 and I'd like you to weigh in on these before casting judgement on that:

Both tell me pretty clearly that it's about when things start, and 1.2.070 seems crystal clear that you either have something that was approved before Jan 22 2010 or something that "commences" after Jan 22 2010.

That's a possibility. But, you may be in a position where that will happen anyway - after you have spent thousands more trying to defend it. In the end, it's likely that they will get their inspection. At this point, they have noting to go on but what they think they can see from the street. I strongly suspect that a court will order an inspection in order to resolve the question.

On the other hand, if your city is like those here there is a process by which you can seek a waiver through a local planning commission or city council. That might be the best and least messy way for everyone to get what they want - provided your structure is not blatantly in violation of some other ordinance or otherwise clearly unsafe.
I think if they could order inspection they would have, the city attorney has been on me since June 8th and I have cooperated with every request except to enter in to a permitting process (each time stating that my structure is exempt and citing codes such as 5.2.030) so they have a lot of information from me, I don't think my answers lead them to believe there is a violation so they are now just relying on the unlawful photo that was taken in May and the single monument unlawful survey in June.

Now a waiver maybe you are on to something. I've tried to locate something like that (the Attorney I spoke with said it may be worth a shot to plead not guilty, wait a few days, then call the City Attorney and ask about settlement). As I believe I mentioned, he believes I'll beat the citations no problem, but we did not talk much about the Administrative Penalty. Perhaps I can buy a waiver for sub $1,000 and just be done, however I haven't found where such a thing exists for my city.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">