• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Curious

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HoustonGuy

Does a passenger of a vehicle has to show I'd along with driver during a traffic stop if a crime wasn't involved?

LdiJ

Does a passenger of a vehicle has to show I'd along with driver during a traffic stop if a crime wasn't involved?
If you meant to say, "does a passenger of a vehicle have to show up for court if a crime wasn't involved?" The answer to that is that if the passenger wasn't cited for anything, the passenger has no obligation to show up in court unless they were subpeona'd as a witness.

CdwJava

Assuming you are asking if a passenger in a vehicle must show ID if the driver is stopped solely for a traffic violation, the answer would be "it depends." Some states have laws requiring anyone detained to present ID, others do not. Whether you could legally be required to present ID will depend on why there was a detention and what state you are in.

For instance, in CA a passenger is generally NOT required to ID himself. Your state might be different.

tranquility

Some states have laws requiring anyone detained to present ID, others do not.
That's a little misleading unless one understands the rest of Carl's post. While the Supreme Court has allowed for "detention" of the passenger for officer safety reasons when the car is detained, unless there is a set of facts which would put a reasonable suspicion on the passenger, those statutes would not be applicable. The suspicion must fall specifically to the person having their ID demanded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">