• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DHS problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgffp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tn
Dhs came out to my fathers land and said his trailer was unlivable.They also have concerns of him taking care of himself and want to put him in a nursing home.Can they make him give up his 2 trucks and land or seize it via the nursing home or can i put the stuff in my name?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tn
Dhs came out to my fathers land and said his trailer was unlivable.They also have concerns of him taking care of himself and want to put him in a nursing home.Can they make him give up his 2 trucks and land or seize it via the nursing home or can i put the stuff in my name?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ok, here's the deal: Can you afford to pay for nursing home care for your Dad?

Or can you take him in and care for him yourself?

If the county does put him in LTC, and he cannot afford to pay for the care, it is likely his caseworker will help him apply for medicaid. If he qualifies, and spends the rest of his life there, one of two things can happen:

1. Either Dad's assets can be sold--for fair market value--to help pay for his care;

2. When he passes, the county/state will do an estate recovery, placing liens on the property to recoup some of the moeny they spent providing the medicaid.

If these assets are transferred (or sold below market value), for example to you, then it is likely that Dad will be inelegible for the program for a period of time. Medicaid has a 5 year lookback period when dealing with long term care.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

Your concerns need to be more about your dad and less about his "stuff." It sounds like he needs regular attention from a healthcare provider. He's not going to get better. He's going to get a lot worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">