• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled friend in jeopardy of losing job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shannonjohnson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
I have a friend who just recently started a job that is across town. She is in a wheel chair and has limited mobility. She recently hired a public transit system that charges her 70.00 per week to pick her up from her house to transport her to work and pick her up from work to transport her home. She has only been at this job for 2 weeks and in the 2 weeks that she has had this job, she has been late a total of 5 times due to the bus not getting her there on time. Now before I go any further, I want top say this is not your regular public transit bus system. This is a call and schedule pick up system, and they have failed to get her to her job on time a number of times as mentioned above. And have even went as far as getting her to work 45 min. late. She called this afternoon crying saying that she might be losing her job due to excessive tardiness. She is not at fault for any of this as she is ready for work on time the same time every morning. 3 complaints have already been placed and no follow up has been received regaurding the complaints. To my understanding this is the only company in the Orlando area that provides these services to the disabled and I am just wondering is there any legal advice I can get regaurding this matter as this company i feel is taking advantage of not just my friend but also other people as well I imagine. Should she be terminated due to this matter, is there anything the courts can do. And please also not that she has no other means of reliable transportation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

antrc170

I understand that your friend is in a tough spot. She can be terminated for being excessivly late.

Is public transportation not available? Public buses must allow for handicap access.

Taxi? Co-workers, etc?

If she continues to recieve complaints, she will almost certianly be terminated. I suggest that she approach her supervisor and explain the situation. Explain that she is trying to find a reliable transportation route to/from work and will make up any missed time at the end of the day, etc. There is nothing that prevents the employer from terminating her though.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
I have a friend who just recently started a job that is across town. She is in a wheel chair and has limited mobility. She recently hired a public transit system that charges her 70.00 per week to pick her up from her house to transport her to work and pick her up from work to transport her home. She has only been at this job for 2 weeks and in the 2 weeks that she has had this job, she has been late a total of 5 times due to the bus not getting her there on time. Now before I go any further, I want top say this is not your regular public transit bus system. This is a call and schedule pick up system, and they have failed to get her to her job on time a number of times as mentioned above. And have even went as far as getting her to work 45 min. late. She called this afternoon crying saying that she might be losing her job due to excessive tardiness. She is not at fault for any of this as she is ready for work on time the same time every morning. 3 complaints have already been placed and no follow up has been received regaurding the complaints. To my understanding this is the only company in the Orlando area that provides these services to the disabled and I am just wondering is there any legal advice I can get regaurding this matter as this company i feel is taking advantage of not just my friend but also other people as well I imagine. Should she be terminated due to this matter, is there anything the courts can do. And please also not that she has no other means of reliable transportation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why doesn't she have her transportation pick her up earlier?

Her employer is treating her as they would any other employee.

shannonjohnson

She has told them (the transport system) when they need to arrive. They are supposed to be at her house at 6:45am and 9 times out of 10 they show up 15 min after 7am and the drive itself is about 45 min in length. She pays alot of money for this service and unfortunately, the city bus transit system would not be able to get her there on time either and they are much cheaper. She has talked to her supervisor multiple times and has explained the issue. Unfortunately they have a job to do and a business to run so the company my friend works for cannot be at fault. It is the bus company that is failing in their job as a whole that is responsible here, and as I stated before they are the only transit system in Orlando that provides these door step services. I just need to know if we were to consult an attorney on her behalf and the behalf of anyone else out there who has or is dealing with this same issue, if we would even have some kind of case....

Silverplum

She has told them (the transport system) when they need to arrive. They are supposed to be at her house at 6:45am and 9 times out of 10 they show up 15 min after 7am and the drive itself is about 45 min in length. She pays alot of money for this service and unfortunately, the city bus transit system would not be able to get her there on time either and they are much cheaper. She has talked to her supervisor multiple times and has explained the issue. Unfortunately they have a job to do and a business to run so the company my friend works for cannot be at fault. It is the bus company that is failing in their job as a whole that is responsible here, and as I stated before they are the only transit system in Orlando that provides these door step services. I just need to know if we were to consult an attorney on her behalf and the behalf of anyone else out there who has or is dealing with this same issue, if we would even have some kind of case....
Just FYI -- it's not "we," it's just your friend. If you try to contact attorneys on her behalf and are talking "we," you're not going to have big success.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think what the OP is trying to ask, is whether her friend would have any legal recourse against the transportation company in the event that she is fired.

tranquility

Consequential damages are generally not awarded in contract breach cases.

(Even that is assuming this could be considered a breach.)

OHRoadwarrior

If I were her, I would take advantage of the chance to prove her skills and if terminated, request a reference for a closer position of a similar nature.

commentator

She can be terminated, especially during her probationary period. And there's nothing an attorney can do. Getting to work is something that could legitimately be a reason to terminate anyone. Just because she is disabled doesn't give her a hall pass where they can't do anything to her because she can't get reliable transportation to the job. Some people have someone to drive them to work. Or they call a cab. Or they call a friend. Or they pay someone to drive them to work each day. Maybe she could find someone who would do it cheaper than the car service. But if she gets fired, don't waste time looking for someone to sue in this case.

csi7

There are several congressional offices with staff available for help with this situation to resolve the transportation issue fast. These offices are in your local area, so a quick telephone call will get the ball rolling.

The employer is following the rules.

The transportation company is violating the contract by missing scheduled pick-up times. The transportation company needs to be reported for their actions since they are providing a specialized service for the disabled.

For transportation of wheelchair bound individuals who need transport in public form to and from employment, the local office for disability resources is another place to contact for help.

CSO286

Though a good beginning solution might be arranging for pick up at 6:30 or earlier.

My grandpa always said "If you aren't at least ten minutes early, you're already late."

Served him well.

And me. I once was given a job over a slightly-more-qualified person because I was early for the interview and they were late.

Though a good beginning solution might be arranging for pick up at 6:30 or earlier.

My grandpa always said "If you aren't at least ten minutes early, you're already late."

Served him well.

And me. I once was given a job over a slightly-more-qualified person because I was early for the interview and they were late.
Your grandpa went by Lombardi time ....

shannonjohnson

Thank you for your responses. I think I may have confused some of you. I am posting in regaurds to the transportation company not the employer. Yes I agree the employer has to do their job and has a business to run. So I am not speaking against the company she is employed by I am speaking in regaurds to the transportation company who is supposed to be doing their jobs by being there at the scheduled pick up times.

Proserpina

Thank you for your responses. I think I may have confused some of you. I am posting in regaurds to the transportation company not the employer. Yes I agree the employer has to do their job and has a business to run. So I am not speaking against the company she is employed by I am speaking in regaurds to the transportation company who is supposed to be doing their jobs by being there at the scheduled pick up times.

My DH used to drive for a similar transportation company. Generally, every client is advised the pick up and drop off times are not guaranteed (and for good reason) and there is always the possibility of a delay. I realize that she pays money for the service but I fear she's going to find that she has no recourse here at all.

She's not the only passenger, is she? There are multiple pick ups?

OHRoadwarrior

We understand. No she cannot sue the transportation company for poor service. The law does not require she utilize their services. She has chosen to use their services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">