• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrim..at Gym

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jljohnson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

At my local gym a couple of days back one of the trainers came over to me and told me " you need to wipe down that machine when your done". I didn't leave any previous machine dirty, i was'nt getting up or anything. After watching to see if she targeted other members ( she did not), I complained to two other employees standing at the desk. In the middle of my explanation of the incident, the trainer came speeding over towards me asking " What are you complaining about me". I immediately told her to get out of my face and she got even more upset and came towards me and one of the person i was talking to had to pull her away from me. Today was my first time returning to the gym and i do not feel comfortable anymore. I saw her for a brief moment and my anxiety level sky rocketed.

Do i have grounds for a restraining order or a Discrimination case? I truly believe that she came over to me because I was the only African member using the machine. There was several other White members and she did not say anything to them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Perhaps they wiped down their machines without being told.

At the gym I go to, the members are all expected to wipe down their machines whether you "got them dirty" or not.

Yep, one state to the north in Maryland, we also wipe down machines. Everytime. Regardless of race, gender, amount of 'dirty', etc.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If the OP was seen not wiping down machines, it is REASONABLE to be reminded to do so. I'm sure that little rule was somewhere where OP signed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

At my local gym a couple of days back one of the trainers came over to me and told me " you need to wipe down that machine when your done". I didn't leave any previous machine dirty, i was'nt getting up or anything. After watching to see if she targeted other members ( she did not), I complained to two other employees standing at the desk. In the middle of my explanation of the incident, the trainer came speeding over towards me asking " What are you complaining about me". I immediately told her to get out of my face and she got even more upset and came towards me and one of the person i was talking to had to pull her away from me. Today was my first time returning to the gym and i do not feel comfortable anymore. I saw her for a brief moment and my anxiety level sky rocketed.

Do i have grounds for a restraining order or a Discrimination case? I truly believe that she came over to me because I was the only African member using the machine. There was several other White members and she did not say anything to them.

It was your first day at the gym. I bet they tell ALL new patrons that the machines need to be wiped down.

LeeHarveyBlotto

People who actively seek offense are cretins who do an enormous disservice to actual victims of discrimination. It's a foul, selfish way to live.

American_Joe

excuse me maam, I don't understand what you're complaining about, if you used the machine you gotta wipe it down, no one wants to sit on your nasty sweat, it's common courtesy. How would you like it if I came to your house and did a couple of squats on your bed and just left? I'd say too bad you have to clean it up yourself. You wouldn't like it very much would you. Why are you complaining about white people trying to get white people in trouble? what are you racist? why does it matter if they are white or black? why do you even have to write that thing? that proves to me your racist right there on the spot you would lose the case and might even get counter sued for racism. I'll be on the witness bench to testify against you.

Proserpina

excuse me maam, I don't understand what you're complaining about, if you used the machine you gotta wipe it down, no one wants to sit on your nasty sweat, it's common courtesy. How would you like it if I came to your house and did a couple of squats on your bed and just left? I'd say too bad you have to clean it up yourself. You wouldn't like it very much would you. Why are you complaining about white people trying to get white people in trouble? what are you racist? why does it matter if they are white or black? why do you even have to write that thing? that proves to me your racist right there on the spot you would lose the case and might even get counter sued for racism. I'll be on the witness bench to testify against you.

Folks:

Check out American Joe's post history.

That is all.

American_Joe

what post history you dont like people who speak the truth? I thought this was america.. I think you like it if i came to your house and did a couple of squats on your bed apparently you like that too.

Proserpina

what post history you dont like people who speak the truth? I thought this was america.. I think you like it if i came to your house and did a couple of squats on your bed apparently you like that too.

I simply abhor racists and idiots.

Nothing illegal about it.

:cool:

American_Joe

Intelligent person like myself will always clean up after ourselves, but if you are used to pissing all over the bathroom where people cant use it after you you need to learn in society with other people, this is not a jungle and you can't do what you want. You need to learn to be civilized, and cant have trainers cleaning up your mess, you are in a public area where you are not the only person using the machines.

I am not racist, stop accusing me or else you'll be looking at a lawsuit for slander and accusations. I can see that you are mad cause you are probably black and you also got a hatred towards white people but that is your own fault, keep it to yourself and keep that rage inside where it belongs, alright

Proserpina

Intelligent person like myself will always clean up after ourselves, but if you are used to pissing all over the bathroom where people cant use it after you you need to learn in society with other people, this is not a jungle and you can't do what you want. You need to learn to be civilized, and cant have trainers cleaning up your mess, you are in a public area where you are not the only person using the machines.

I am not racist, stop accusing me or else you'll be looking at a lawsuit for slander and accusations. I can see that you are mad cause you are probably black and you also got a hatred towards white people but that is your own fault, keep it to yourself and keep that rage inside where it belongs, alright

Oh honey. Really.

I'm probably the whitest chick you'd ever know.

Now you go ahead. Sue me. Please, go for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">