• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discriminated/Harrassed in a Major Home Shopping Center

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaxpilotboy

Florida - A friend and myself were harrassed and discriminated against by two employees in a major nationwide home shopping store. My friend and I were wearing nothing politically related, no party affiliated symbols etc. We just both had "I Voted Early" stickers on our shirts from our local supervisor of elections office.

The first employee made several comments insinuating who we voted for etc. Once we told him that we had acctually voted for that person and continued to ask him questions about the product we were considering purchasing, he started telling us that our political positions were wrong, that several issues were wrong including terrorism, gay rights, religion. Another employee passing by, heard the converstation and ganged up against us with him.

We walked away from the employees and one continued to follow us down the aisle and yell stuff to us infront of other customers. We both felt very embarrassed and intimidated. We are concerned to return to the location.

I made a formal complaint with the corporate headquarters and they are asking me to submit testimony to them.

What should I do, consult a lawyer before speaking to them?

justalayman

what for?

They had their legal rights to voice their opinions just as I am sure you were voicing yours in return.

Once we told him that we had acctually voted for that person
It's called a political debate. Get over it or keep your opinions to yourself.

las365

A friend and myself were harrassed and discriminated against by two employees in a major nationwide home shopping store.
I don't see any discrimination or illegal harassment. I do see incredibly bad customer service, poor judgment, and rudeness. None of those are illegal.

The right course of action was to complain to corporate management, which you did. If you feel strongly enough about it, follow through by giving your version of the facts to the people investigating on the store's behalf.

You do not have a cause of action against the store or the employees. You don't need a lawyer. If you are not satisfied with the response you get, vote with your dollars and don't patronize the store again.

NRH81

Just hound the store and thier corporate office until they fire him. They would rather fire some loser stock boy than deal with your persistant phone calls and letters.

HomeGuru

Florida - A friend and myself were harrassed and discriminated against by two employees in a major nationwide home shopping store. My friend and I were wearing nothing politically related, no party affiliated symbols etc. We just both had "I Voted Early" stickers on our shirts from our local supervisor of elections office.

The first employee made several comments insinuating who we voted for etc. Once we told him that we had acctually voted for that person and continued to ask him questions about the product we were considering purchasing, he started telling us that our political positions were wrong, that several issues were wrong including terrorism, gay rights, religion. Another employee passing by, heard the converstation and ganged up against us with him.

We walked away from the employees and one continued to follow us down the aisle and yell stuff to us infront of other customers. We both felt very embarrassed and intimidated. We are concerned to return to the location.

I made a formal complaint with the corporate headquarters and they are asking me to submit testimony to them.

What should I do, consult a lawyer before speaking to them?
**A: why did you not ask for the store manager and made a complaint then?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just hound the store and thier corporate office until they fire him. They would rather fire some loser stock boy than deal with your persistant phone calls and letters.

It would be just as easy to have their lawyer send a cease and desist letter to the poster as it would be to fire the employee.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

It would be just as easy to have their lawyer send a cease and desist letter to the poster as it would be to fire the employee.
Easier, cheaper AND it would make more sense ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">