• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination by the state.. Is there anything i can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyitsdan03

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A few years back in May 2008 i was in possession of a couple stolen credit cards that i used to purchase various things like TV's, computers, iPods, and other expensive electronics. I had a friend with me when i was at the store to purchase all the items. He knew everything that was going on and came along to help me. After we purchased the items we stored them at his house. When i got caught and arrested, the police had surveillance photos of us at the register, walking out the door together, and photos of the car we were in. After i was arrested, we went strait to his house, where they confiscated all the items. I was prosecuted but he was not. I did 3 years in state prison for that and he didn't even get charged with a crime. When i was talking to my lawyer i asked him if he had been arrested or charged and his response was "They don't want him they only want you." I think this is unacceptable that the state just chose to ignore his role in the crimes and put all the fall on me. Is there anything i can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You mean, can you force the state to prosecute your friend? Or maybe sue them for not doing so?

No to both.

ecmst12

You're the one who actually committed the crimes. He may have come along for the ride, but proving that as a crime sounds to be more trouble than it would be worth for the prosecutor. And at this point, the SOL has probably expired anyway.

swalsh411

It's possible your friend gave the police information that they used against you. It's possible the DA looked at it and decided he would not be able to prove every element of the crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">