• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does my daughter need a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scuffysd11

Trying to decide if i should hire a lawyer, my interracial 6 year old daughter was discriminated against @ sea world by an employee. Ive been trying to contact Sea World... but i have to email them, there is no1 I can talk to. My daughter asked employee if she could feed the sea lions. The employee was feeding sea lions with 2 white children. The employee quickly turned to my daughter and said something quietly. I asked my daughter what she said. Her exact words, "The lady told me no its only for natural kids." I didn't know what this meant. I left and tried to keep my composure. Any visitor to sea world can buy a bucket of fish to feed sea lions. I don't know how to address this with a 6 year old. Wondering if I should hire a lawyer. I feel like she was treated unfairly because of her skin color and age.

CdwJava

I think you may have heard something wrong.

Sea World has a variety of nature programs and it could have been one of these programs that the employee referred to. They could have been part of a nature camp group, a special tour, or some other program. My own children have been part of these programs before, and they are not open to everyone. You have to pay a special fee or be part of a special program to be able to participate in some of these things.

Be sure you know what was said or done, and why it was said or done before you go about accusing someone of being racist.

If you have the money to pay an attorney, you are free to do so. But, since you admit that you do not know exactly what the employee said, you might be paying a lot of money only to find out that nothing untoward was done. or, that nothing untoward can be proven.

scuffysd11

already researched if there was a camp "natural"...no such thing, its open to every visitor if u purchase a bucket of fish...thats what my daughter heard and it really sucks to know it really hurt her feelings and I dont know what that feels like because im white, shes black. Either way you put it, she was turned away and priority was given to white children! How does she feel?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
already researched if there was a camp "natural"...no such thing, its open to every visitor if u purchase a bucket of fish...thats what my daughter heard and it really sucks to know it really hurt her feelings and I dont know what that feels like because im white, shes black. Either way you put it, she was turned away and priority was given to white children! How does she feel?
So did you buy a bucket of fish so your daughter could feed the sea lions?

You teach your daughter to cope. She may have misheard/misquoted the worker. Sometimes you have to give other people the benefit of a doubt. :cool:

Mnemosyne

I'll bet a bucket o' fish that your daughter misheard "interaction" as "natural".

From the SeaWorld San Diego website:

Admission Includes:
All shows, exhibits, aquariums and rides (with the exception of Skyride and Skytower*) are included with park admission. Food, dining experiences, merchandise, Behind-the-Scenes guided tours and animal interactions are optional and an additional cost. Advanced reservations can be made online under our Explore SeaWorld section. *Skyride and Skytower tickets may be purchased inside the park at the entrance to each attraction.

CdwJava

There may also be a limited number of children that one employee can supervise. There is a lot of liability with some of these programs.

You are certainly free to assume the worst if you wish, and to explain it to your child as a race-based action. But, if you choose to make an issue out of it, you had better be certain of your facts lest you find yourself the defendant in a suit by the employee should your complaint or actions somehow cause them distress.

None of us can say whether this was an intentional, race-based act by the employee. But, I have never heard of whites referred to as "natural" so I have to assume that whatever was heard by your child may have been misinterpreted. Remember, your child overheard the words, not you. And children have a tendency to convert words and phrases that are unfamiliar to them to something that they understand.

Just saying that proving this was racial will be nearly impossible for you.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Your daughter can hire a lawyer if she wants ... thin skinned is she, even if what the guy said was what you thought he said...she needs to grow some thicker skin & pick her battles concerning racism. (and I have a biracial offspring).
Agreed. My DD has an ASD and has had to deal with "loving" comments from not only total STRANGERS but supposedly "loving members" of our family.

Putting "importance" on "sh>t" comments will make your child feel like "sh.T".

IMHO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">