• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drivers License Division wants to scan personal financial information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

builder69

Hi folks,
I have a second home in utah that I visit enough that I want to get an identification card. I went to the DLD (Drivers License Division) and they required I have my Birth Certificate, SSN (Card), Bank Statement, and Utility Bill (not cellphone).

Luckily they don't need my blood. At any rate. As I read on the requirements they also mention that they photocopy ALL documents in to a "Secure" Server.

I have a few problems/questions about this:
- I don't want my personal financial information being scanned into their supposed "secure system". If they must photocopy the documents, then I want my account number to remain private. That goes for the utility bills as well.

- Unified Police Department in SLC got hacked and personal information was stolen. Solitude?s credit card system hacked, information stolen | The Salt Lake Tribune So they are NOT secure.

- WHEN a hacker compromises their system, and gains access to the "secure" images of all of my financial documents. They have a one stop shop for identity theft, they I even photocopy the SSN CARD, AND BIRTH CERT. Obviously my concern is valid.

So I guess my main question is, does the law protect my personal account information? If anyone tires to access my account, the bank would deny them. It should be the same for the state.

I Should be in compliance with their rules if I furnish the documents minus the account number. Ideally I don't want them scanning any of my information, I want to know too if this is legal. Can the state photocopy all of my identity information in one central location so that when their insecure servers are compromised AGAIN, the attacker can have everything he needs to steal my identity.

Thank you in advance, if I need to move this please let me know. I tried my best to categorize.

builder69

let me rephrase

I haven't asked them. I want to know if they have the legal right too.
I'm not asking permission. Regardless of what they SAY, the law should protect my financial privacy. That's what my question is.

If you want to me a trolling smart A. Then post another forum. Thanks for wasting my time. Now kick rocks.

Proserpina

I'm not asking permission. Regardless of what they SAY, the law should protect my financial privacy. That's what my question is.

If you want to me a trolling smart A. Then post another forum. Thanks for wasting my time. Now kick rocks.

Okey dokey then.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Ya know... The volunteers here ask questions in order to be able to better help you. If you want to come back like a rude yahoo? Expect no help here. So perhaps you should go pay a lawyer. And enjoy doing it.

CSO286

Ok, here's the deal: A driver's license is a privilege, not a right. If you would like to have the priviliege, you will need to jump through their hoops.

tranquility

The government asks for what it asks for. You provide it or they don't do what you want. If they lose your information later, you won't be able to sue them.

Welcome to America. Vote the legislators who allowed the system you don't like out of office and use community organizing techniques to make that more likely.

It's not a driver's license but an Identification card. Delete the info you don't want them to have and see if it works.

commentator

"The law should protect my financial privacy" is not a question, legal or otherwise. It is an opinion, and you know about opinions. You always have the option not to get a driver's license or state ID card if you're so worried about someone accessing your personal information through the state's DL system. Do you think no one has ever accessed private information through a bank's systems by the way? You say the bank would try to stop someone from accessing your private accounty information. Do you not suspect that the state would not likewise try to stop someone from accessing your information in their secure system?

Is the "bank statement" do they require a full complete month's bank statement, or just something showing you have an account at a bank in the state? Are you able to black out your account number on the statement you provide? You'd need to ask the DL office about this. I can't imagine why they'd be interested in your actual financial information, or that you'd have to provide them with anything more than proof you do have an account, any more than they'd be interested in the amount of your utility bill. They're just using that document to establish your residency.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">