• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Boyfriend refusing to repay personal loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jgehrls

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa/Illinois

My ex (we've been separated for about 8 months. He lives in Illinois, I live in Iowa) convinced me to loan him $480 dollars on June 2nd. He is a very manipulative guy. He was trying for $1000, but I was able to say no to that. Anyways, I have emails and instant message conversations between us showing that he was aware that it was a loan and would be repaid by July 30th 2011. I contacted him July 1st, to see how he was coming at getting the money and he told me that he would have it to me by the middle of September. Mid september came and went without me hearing from him. I tried 3 times to contact him between Mid September and now and he hadn't responded. Today I sent him an email asking him to get ahold of me. He called me and said he had no intention of paying the money back. I told him I would give him till mid november to figure out a way to get the money or I would pursue legal action. He told me to go ahead and start now and not to contact him or he would press harrassment charges.

What should be my next steps? I have all of the emails and Instant Message conversations gathered in one document.
I really need to hold him to this. He has manipulated me so much over the past two years. If I were to add up a dollar amount of how much he has gotten out of me it would be about $3000.
Also, it has been documented with the police in his city, that he tried to steal a laptop from me. He convinced me to let him borrow it for a few months for school, and then when I tried to get it back from him he told me that I had given it to him for christmas. So I called the police and they went and got it from him.

Antigone*

My ex (we've been separated for about 8 months. He lives in Illinois, I live in Iowa) convinced me to loan him $480 dollars on June 2nd. He is a very manipulative guy. He was trying for $1000, but I was able to say no to that. Anyways, I have emails and instant message conversations between us showing that he was aware that it was a loan and would be repaid by July 30th 2011. I contacted him July 1st, to see how he was coming at getting the money and he told me that he would have it to me by the middle of September. Mid september came and went without me hearing from him. I tried 3 times to contact him between Mid September and now and he hadn't responded. Today I sent him an email asking him to get ahold of me. He called me and said he had no intention of paying the money back. I told him I would give him till mid november to figure out a way to get the money or I would pursue legal action. He told me to go ahead and start now and not to contact him or he would press harrassment charges.

What should be my next steps? I have all of the emails and Instant Message conversations gathered in one document.
I really need to hold him to this. He has manipulated me so much over the past two years. If I were to add up a dollar amount of how much he has gotten out of me it would be about $3000.
Also, it has been documented with the police in his city, that he tried to steal a laptop from me. He convinced me to let him borrow it for a few months for school, and then when I tried to get it back from him he told me that I had given it to him for christmas. So I called the police and they went and got it from him.
So sue the guy in his jurisdiction.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the bad guy in small claims court.

ETA: If you don't think it's worth the cost, then you might just have to chalk this up as an expensive lesson.

Banned_Princess

sue him in small clams where he lives. (for the 480.00 nevermind anything else.)

Banned_Princess

yes, you should feel lucky you didnt sink half of your life, and all of your money into this guy, just for him to leave for a younger woman. (or even worse, being with you, and other women.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">