• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extortion or negotiation? Conspiracy or larceny by trick?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katherine Knigh

If I wrote a letter to pawn shop stating I want diamond ring that was in pawn in cousins name (cousin requested pawn broker to add my name, but broker didn't), that I later put a written claim on ( now missing), and told cousin obtained ring, but later found out pawn shop purchased illegally (cousin didn't have right to sell for ring not hers, and stated that I wanted my ring, or I would have to file report with police, and they would be responsible for all attorney and court fees, including compensation for mental anguish and distress, would this be a form of extortion or a negotiation being attempts to pay pawn loan made three times? And if broker and seller (cousin) knew I had in writing claimed my ring and I was the rightful owner of the ring, would that be conspiracy, being they both were to profit from the sale, and sale was done vindictive, with knowledge of situation given to broker prior to transaction? Or would it be considered larceny by trick because of deception to ensure I lost ring and preventing me from never getting it back on both seller and brokers behalf? Should I give pawn shop letter or file police report? Ring s rightfully mine. Have witness to written claim, and one to verify I am owner of the ring.

quincy

If I wrote a letter to pawn shop stating I want diamond ring that was in pawn in cousins name (cousin requested pawn broker to add my name, but broker didn't), that I later put a written claim on ( now missing), and told cousin obtained ring, but later found out pawn shop purchased illegally (cousin didn't have right to sell for ring not hers, and stated that I wanted my ring, or I would have to file report with police, and they would be responsible for all attorney and court fees, including compensation for mental anguish and distress, would this be a form of extortion or a negotiation being attempts to pay pawn loan made three times? And if broker and seller (cousin) knew I had in writing claimed my ring and I was the rightful owner of the ring, would that be conspiracy, being they both were to profit from the sale, and sale was done vindictive, with knowledge of situation given to broker prior to transaction? Or would it be considered larceny by trick because of deception to ensure I lost ring and preventing me from never getting it back on both seller and brokers behalf? Should I give pawn shop letter or file police report? Ring s rightfully mine. Have witness to written claim, and one to verify I am owner of the ring.
What is the name of your state, Katherine Knigh, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is his homework?

What US state?

If this IS in the US and if this is NOT homework...then the scheme you and your cousin have cooked up won't work. It's as transparent as new pane of glass.

Katherine Knigh

As well

I also have note in writing from pawn shop owner stating "the ring is yours- for $280.00. And we pay the tax", owner signed, and wrote, ("that is on doc. 1237"). Also in letter I said ring better not be altered or tampered with in any manner, and testing of diamond to be witnessed by me and a witness not involved on behalf of my case, prior to receiving said ring by another employee qualified to do so not involved with situation. I had quality of ring tested to pawn, and know how high the readings were, being many diamonds on it. PRINCESS CUT DIAMOND WITH 12 Bordering diamonds, 8 baguette diamonds on sides, and side stone diamonds set in 18k white gold. Had $700.00 tag on it in display case, but was quickly yanked when I inquired about obtaining it.

quincy

I also have note in writing from pawn shop owner stating "the ring is yours- for $280.00. And we pay the tax", owner signed, and wrote, ("that is on doc. 1237"). Also in letter I said ring better not be altered or tampered with in any manner, and testing of diamond to be witnessed by me and a witness not involved on behalf of my case, prior to receiving said ring by another employee qualified to do so not involved with situation. I had quality of ring tested to pawn, and know how high the readings were, being many diamonds on it. PRINCESS CUT DIAMOND WITH 12 Bordering diamonds, 8 baguette diamonds on sides, and side stone diamonds set in 18k white gold. Had $700.00 tag on it in display case, but was quickly yanked when I inquired about obtaining it.
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Zigner

I'm not sure why you believe you're entitled to have all those additional silly demands met. Get the ring for the $280 then have it "tested". If your "testing" reveals a problem, follow up through whatever (legal) means you feel are appropriate.

ETA: Yes, what US state? (again)

adjusterjack

Should I give pawn shop letter or file police report?
If you have proof of ownership and the ring was stolen from you, you file a police report naming who stole it and who has it now, and you forget about the stupid game you are contemplating because it won't work.

And, yes, in many states what you contemplate is extortion but some states provide a defense to the charge if the item is rightfully yours.

Hence the question about your state which you've managed to ignore several times.

Zigner

When you told the owner of the pawn shop that he'd be responsible for your "mental anguish and distress", he knew you had absolutely no clue what you are doing. Get your ring back and make sure your cousin reimburses you for whatever you are actually out. If your "testing" leads you to believe that the pawn shop has pulled some kind of shenanigans, then deal with it at that point.

quincy

Why was your ring under your cousin's name in the first place? It sounds as if you knew in advance that he was taking it to the pawn shop.

(as a note: your question has nothing to do with civil rights or discrimination - but thank you for providing your state name)

Zigner

Why was your ring under your cousin's name in the first place? It sounds as if you knew in advance that he was taking it to the pawn shop.
I agree. It sounds to ME like the cousin and the OP are conspiring to "recover" a ring that they had lost to the pawnshop due to their failure to pay as agreed.

Katherine Knigh

Ok, then...

Will I still have to pay if I file police report for ring? Should I contact an agency that could investigate on a higher level than police, say Legislature of State of California or Better Busines Bureau, to verify my situation at hand? I made three attempts to pay. First, I was told to come back in 30 days + 10 day Grace period, and total would be $181.75. I went that date given, and told cousin had picked up month prior. Cousin and I haven't spoken since she stole $115.09 from me. Was told by broker she needed to get a hold of her dad, the owner, and she would call me. Two days later, no call yet, so went to shop. After 1 hour and 45 of waiting, owner produced two faxed docs with tickets of transactions. The first looked legit. The second looked as if it was cut and pasted. And not very good. The pawn shop hold key to situation and all I vow to be true. They have all the evidence.

Zigner

It sounds to me as if you AND your cousin pawned the ring and now you are trying to figure out a way to get it back without paying. If you file a police report, you will need to file it against your cousin, but just having a police report doesn't mean that the ring was actually stolen.

Katherine Knigh

Sale

My cousin and I (it is my ring) didn't lose the ring to failure to pay. With ring in pawn, she was offered by pawn shop $280 for it. Minus $191.75 for amount of pawn loan. Cousin received $88.25 cash. But how can that occur if ring was in pawn still? Pawned ring on May 11, 2016, inquired about pawn loan to pay off, and written statement putting claim on my ring, as well as character of cousin (drug addict, alcoholic, homeless, and with malicious intent to profit from ring for addiction if she obtained. And to be notified if any attempts to obtain by her made. That was on August 10, 2016. Then, I Was told repeatedly cousin picked up, and to find family mediator to get ring back from cousin. Broker also said she would contact me as soon as she got a hold of her dad, the owner. She pulled my ring out of display case as soon as I described my ring. Had $700.00 tag on it. That was 9/20/16- the date she told me to come back and get ring after default and Grace period. I went back 9/22/16, and after being told waiting for Secretary to fax paperwork for she's with her sick grandson (was told this exact line three years prior when I lost ticket for my pawned laptop) for hour and forty five minutes, was told everything I just wrote by owner. When I asked about my claim, I was asked to shut up or leave.

Zigner

My cousin and I (it is my ring) didn't lose the ring to failure to pay. With ring in pawn, she was offered by pawn shop $280 for it. Minus $191.75 for amount of pawn loan. Cousin received $88.25 cash. But how can that occur if ring was in pawn still? Pawned ring on May 11, 2016, inquired about pawn loan to pay off, and written statement putting claim on my ring, as well as character of cousin (drug addict, alcoholic, homeless, and with malicious intent to profit from ring for addiction if she obtained. And to be notified if any attempts to obtain by her made. That was on August 10, 2016. Then, I Was told repeatedly cousin picked up, and to find family mediator to get ring back from cousin. Broker also said she would contact me as soon as she got a hold of her dad, the owner. She pulled my ring out of display case as soon as I described my ring. Had $700.00 tag on it. That was 9/20/16- the date she told me to come back and get ring after default and Grace period. I went back 9/22/16, and after being told waiting for Secretary to fax paperwork for she's with her sick grandson (was told this exact line three years prior when I lost ticket for my pawned laptop) for hour and forty five minutes, was told everything I just wrote by owner. When I asked about my claim, I was asked to shut up or leave.
When one has their ring "stolen", they do not leave it at the pawn shop for 4 months without reporting the theft. This ring was never "stolen" by your cousin. You knew full well that she pawned it, and your lack of action towards her is pretty convincing evidence that she did it with your authorization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">