• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FBI Recently Paid a Visit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mohmohsin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I recently made a post on facebook criticizing the US government for it's policies in the War on Terror exercising my right to free speech. One of my friends on facebook, or so I think, complained this with the police and I was paid a visit first by the local police and then the FBI. The only mistake I probably committed was answering FBI questions without a lawyer present, but it was just the shock of the whole experience. I think I answered all questions satisfactorily.

Since that day I have been really upset with this constantly on my mind. I feel like I have done nothing wrong yet was subjected to this. I've become paranoid feeling someone is following me and listening to everything I say. My questions are:

1) Can I find out who complained to the police and sue them?
2) Do I have a case against the FBI or Federal Government?
3) Any other options I should consider?

Thank you

tranquility

Unless you made comments which were taken as a threat to the President, even if you advocated violent overthrow of the government, Congress (and the states through the 14th amendment) shall make no law abridging freedom of speech.

Next time, don't talk to them. (You'll find that right in the same first amendment.)

Then, what Zigner said.

racer72

One error is thinking posting on Facebook is free speech. It is not. Facebook is a private enterprise and as such there is no right to free speech.

tranquility

One error is thinking posting on Facebook is free speech. It is not. Facebook is a private enterprise and as such there is no right to free speech.
While I don't see the relevance to the OPs question, if we wanted to get technical, there is no "right" to "free speech" anywhere in the Constitution.

racer72

While I don't see the relevance to the OPs question, if we wanted to get technical, there is no "right" to "free speech" anywhere in the Constitution.
I intended to quote the OP, it's been a long day.

OP said:
I recently made a post on facebook criticizing the US government for it's policies in the War on Terror exercising my right to free speech.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">