• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FOIA question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thrive65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I'm an international student and a while back someone reported me to the FBI. It turned out to be a misunderstanding on their part and it was all good. However, I'm pretty sure that there was an investigation done and that I have a file of some sort. I was visited again recently, and I guess it was of a checkup.

Someone has threatened me by saying that they have my federal report. I looked on FOIA laws and it stated that whatever information they have on me cannot be disclosed to anyone without my consent or a court order. I did one of those free online background checks and there were 0 records on me. So my question will a legit background check show that a I was investigated and provide whoever with what the FBI reported? And is it possible that the person has a friend in the police or something that can provide that information to them? Or are they just bluffing..

-Many thanks

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I'm an international student and a while back someone reported me to the FBI. It turned out to be a misunderstanding on their part and it was all good. However, I'm pretty sure that there was an investigation done and that I have a file of some sort. I was visited again recently, and I guess it was of a checkup.

Someone has threatened me by saying that they have my federal report. I looked on FOIA laws and it stated that whatever information they have on me cannot be disclosed to anyone without my consent or a court order. I did one of those free online background checks and there were 0 records on me. So my question will a legit background check show that a I was investigated and provide whoever with what the FBI reported? And is it possible that the person has a friend in the police or something that can provide that information to them? Or are they just bluffing..

-Many thanks
**A: chances are they are bluffing.

swalsh411

Why do you care? You were cleared of any wrongdoing. People are investigated all the time (usually without their knowledge). Nobody would half a brain would think that you were guilty of something just because you were the subject of an investigation.

thrive65

Why do you care? You were cleared of any wrongdoing. People are investigated all the time (usually without their knowledge). Nobody would half a brain would think that you were guilty of something just because you were the subject of an investigation.
Well, I'm not worried at all about being guilty or not. I'm just worried about the kind of personal information that person has access to. Phone records, emails, bank stuff...I'm sure the FBI has something on record that might be of some value to them.

swalsh411

No FOIA response is going to contain any of that. The most it would say, if anything, is that you were the subject of an investigation which is now closed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">