• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is giving out my home address a Hipaa Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angle4198

What is the name of your state? KY

Is it a Hippa Violation to give out my home address. After leaving my doctors office, I stoped by the store and when I got home there was a car in my drive way. A man was there asking for me by name and told my husband I hit his car in the parking lot at my doctors office. Which I did not. (I stoped by several stores so I know he did not follow me home.) As I pulled up he said that it wasn't the car someone told him I drove and he left. Apparantly someone at my doctors office told him I just left and it might have been me who hit him. They gave him my name and address. Can I sue them or file a complaint?

moburkes

I doubt it. Call the doctor's office and speak to the doctor or office manager. While billing information, which includes your address, is protected, they didn't give out your medical information and thought they were being helpful. Why would you sue over something like that?

angle4198

My whole thing is that, no one seen the accident, his car could have been wrecked for months. He could have seen me in there and decided he wanted to do something unspeakable to me, he could have overheard me speaking of my daughter and come to kidnap her. People are crazy, and it is totally unacceptable for them to sent someone to my house!!!!!! If my husband was not there, who knows what might of happened.

Ozark_Sophist

I would be upset at the invasion of privacy. Definitely make a complaint. If the office had provided your information to law enforcement for a follow-up, that would have been better.

moburkes

How did he know to walk into your doctor's office if no one saw the accident, and he said that your vehicle didn't match the description of the vehicle he was looking for? What are your damages?

angle4198

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking, if they thought I hit and ran, they should have called the police instead of giving him my address.

This is a physical therapy office, it is in a complex with other doctors but he was parked in the back lot, and the only entrance to this lot is the physical therapy office.

The day after this happened I asked my PT "Who was the man that came to my house", she said "He came to your house, and was totally blown away." She said all she knew was that after I left, he (one of their Supply sales reps) came in and said someone hit his car, and they told him I just left and maybe it was me, but she was not sure how he got my address.

So either after telling him my name, he went into a private area and took my file, or they gave him my address.

But the PT also said that the man told them that by the damage it looked like a truck hit him, but he told me something totally different, that it was a red grand dam, so his story is not matching up with the people in the office. That is what scared me, she said she has no idea where the red grand dam came from because they didn't discuss that. It worries me that he could have been a big weirdo, trying to do harm to me.

moburkes

Yes, he could have been a wierdo. And so could the person who worked at the PT office who had access to your information. Wierdos comes in many sizes and shapes and colors.

angle4198

Yes, but you know when you go to a doctors office that you are giving them personal info, you do not know they are going to give it out to anyone who wants it. That is just plain wrong, it very well could have ended badly and they need to make sure it never happens again.

angle4198

I wasn't trying to get money out of this, I am not that type of person. But I would like the person responcible sited so that they will not do this again.

moburkes

Oh, you asked about suing. So, you were going to spend your OWN money on a lawsuit without even asking for reimbursement?:confused:

Please file the complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">