• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hate crime/ failure to report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sightings99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I've got myself into a mess and need some guidance.
A neighbor has been vandalizing our property & cursed at me in public. Several neighbors we had (brief) contact with no longer wish to socialize with us.
I reported the incidents as a hate crime to the local police and FBI. So far no investigation (that I can see) has taken place.

Neighbor taunts me and shouts threats sometime when I come home from work.

Can I appeal this to the State police if local are not acting?
Also I've told my priest (who is bigoted, found out later) and he's been confrontational about us coming to his church.

CdwJava

Why is this a hate crime? What protected category do you fall into?

Simply because people are rude to you and dislike you does not mean that a hate crime has been committed. Plus, a "hate crime" must generally consist of more than just hateful words. It must generally be a criminal act that is motivated by the perpetrator's hatred for you based upon your perceived inclusion in a protected class of people.

Vandalism is a crime. But, because you were a victim of vandalism does not mean it was a hate crime. What was the nature of the vandalism? A burning cross on the lawn could be a hate crime ... carving swastikas into your car coul dbe a hate crime. Throwing a rock through your window is not nearly as likely absent an identified suspect and motivation.

Sightings99

I'm ambivalent to say what kind of hate crime because of the replies I see given....

I've verbally responded to him saying "You're doing this because...." and he gets even more angry/combative.
He's avoided putting any vandalism up that corresponds to a hate crime. He has said words however.
Someone slashed all 4 of our tires (my car) and he mysteriously disappeared for 3 days (He never leaves his propert, he is Always there).

There is no teenager/other person I know who would do this.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

It sounds like you are inciting people. You come here to seek advice, yet you refuse to divulge what your problem is and attack the first poster that says something you do not like.:confused:

CdwJava

I'm ambivalent to say what kind of hate crime because of the replies I see given....

I've verbally responded to him saying "You're doing this because...." and he gets even more angry/combative.
That does not mean it is a hate crime.

A hate crime is NOT doing something because people do not like you for the way you act. If you refuse to state what the nature of this alleged hate crime is, about all we can say is "good luck."

He's avoided putting any vandalism up that corresponds to a hate crime. He has said words however.
He has the freedom of speech. This is not a hate crime. He can dislike you, he can dislike your skin color. He can dislike your religion. He can dislike your sexual orientation. As long as he does not commit a crime MOTIVATED by these prejudices, he is free to be mean, hateful, angry, rude and crude.

Someone slashed all 4 of our tires (my car) and he mysteriously disappeared for 3 days (He never leaves his propert, he is Always there).
So, you do not have any proof that he committed the crime. Nor is it a hate crime absent some proof of motivation.

That is not proof that he is guilty of the offense. And even if you had video of him doing it, unless he admitted to doing it because of his perception of your inclusion in a protected class it would not be a hate crime.

It sounds as if a lot of people do not like you. If the minister and your neighbors do not want to have anything to do with you, it may well be YOU, and not any form of prejudice.

So far you have provided nothing to indicate that a hate crime has been committed or that the police have any responsibility to investigate your vandalism as a hate crime.

Sightings99

It sounds like you are inciting people. You come here to seek advice, yet you refuse to divulge what your problem is and attack the first poster that says something you do not like.:confused:
LOL u said I "attack the first poster". Nope. I said I was ambivalent because of things said about this issue. On websites.

Are you going to answer my question?
Or use another ad hominem attack?
Ad hominem | Define Ad hominem at Dictionary.com

Just Blue

LOL u said I "attack the first poster". Nope. I said I was ambivalent because of things said about this issue. On websites.

****************************..:rolleyes:

OHRoadwarrior

I'm not going to give you any advice other than to say you should have checked your attitude at the router. Do you always go around creating problems with the people around you.:rolleyes:

swalsh411

What kind of "threats" are you getting?

Can "threats" even be considered a hate crime? I don't think they can.

slwslw

State Police won't help

Your neighbors are taunting you because you're gay and local police and FBI aren't satisfying your request for a hate crimes investigation.

The State Police have the same authority to investigate as city police do, but they aren't going to do so because there's no reason to believe city police aren't doing their job.

quincy

You posted to an older thread, slwslw, just to put false words in a long-gone poster's mouth?

You may wish to consider posting only to those (current) threads in which you have some real knowledge to impart. That, I have a sneaking suspicion, may limit your continued post count to nothing, but the posters and readers of the threads may be better served. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">