• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hipaa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adam387

What is the name of your state? Florida

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I'm really at a loss what to do.

My insurance recently changed my regular physician. I wanted to set up a new appointment with my doctor, so I stopped in at the new office. While waiting on the woman to give me my paper work, she asked me how I knew about the office. I told her my manager at work happened to go to this particular office. She asked me her name, and I gave it to her. She went on for a bit about what a great person my manager is. Fine. I took the papers and started to leave. THe papers contained questions that were personal, obviously. The woman at the desk told me to give them to my manager and have her bring them in (as if I would EVER do that....)

Anyway, I went home, and about an hour later I got a phone call from my manager at work. She says "So, you're going to see my doctor, huh?" I said "I'm sorry?" She went on to say that she called the doctors office, and the secretary said that I had been into the office (Gave my full name), gave my manager the date, and time of my appointment...she even told her it was for a new patient visit.

While not a lot of personal information was given out...I do feel extremly violated. I work at a doctors office myself (opticians, actually) and I know that HIPAA laws are VERY specific. I don't like the fact that they were so willing to share, what I consider, personal information like that. I had not filled out ANY paperwork with them to allow them to disclose any information to anyone. Do I have a case? I feel that I do...

And, I know this may sound stupid....but I'm *very* private with my medical information and history. I NEVER let anyone know about medical procedures, visits, or treatments I may (or may not be) getting. I was extremly embarassed. And I've been quite nervous about seeing this doctor, which I've decided not to do.

So, I assume my question is "Do I have a case?" and if so, who should I contact? A Civil rights lawyer? Or just file a complaint.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

you can file a complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacyhowtofile.htm

Don't expect much response.

Then get a new doctor. Tell the doctor why you are not returning and ask him to refund any copays you had since you will now have to pay again for your new pri**** physician. He won't have to refund it, but it will certainly get his attention.

tigger22472

adam387 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I'm really at a loss what to do.

My insurance recently changed my regular physician. I wanted to set up a new appointment with my doctor, so I stopped in at the new office. While waiting on the woman to give me my paper work, she asked me how I knew about the office. I told her my manager at work happened to go to this particular office. She asked me her name, and I gave it to her. She went on for a bit about what a great person my manager is. Fine. I took the papers and started to leave. THe papers contained questions that were personal, obviously. The woman at the desk told me to give them to my manager and have her bring them in (as if I would EVER do that....)

Anyway, I went home, and about an hour later I got a phone call from my manager at work. She says "So, you're going to see my doctor, huh?" I said "I'm sorry?" She went on to say that she called the doctors office, and the secretary said that I had been into the office (Gave my full name), gave my manager the date, and time of my appointment...she even told her it was for a new patient visit.

While not a lot of personal information was given out...I do feel extremly violated. I work at a doctors office myself (opticians, actually) and I know that HIPAA laws are VERY specific. I don't like the fact that they were so willing to share, what I consider, personal information like that. I had not filled out ANY paperwork with them to allow them to disclose any information to anyone. Do I have a case? I feel that I do...

And, I know this may sound stupid....but I'm *very* private with my medical information and history. I NEVER let anyone know about medical procedures, visits, or treatments I may (or may not be) getting. I was extremly embarassed. And I've been quite nervous about seeing this doctor, which I've decided not to do.

So, I assume my question is "Do I have a case?" and if so, who should I contact? A Civil rights lawyer? Or just file a complaint.
Stating that you had a doctor's appointment, unless I'm mistaken, does not constitute a violation of HIPAA laws.. Ate up... yeah, violation no. However, I do agree that it was VERY close and could turn into one. The laws protect your personal information and diagnosis (including care)... things like that.

Your first course of action would be if you intend to remain with this doctor then express no only to the doctor but especially to the secretary that you do not appreciate this being told by any means and that you will file against them if it happens again and especially if any personal information is given. Stand firm in your belief and your stance to them to show them you will not tolerate this.

Or...

You can just look for a new doctor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">