• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPAA Violation-Is This It?!??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NorthTexasBoi

What is the name of your state?TEXAS
Hello, my name is Christopher. I live in Denton, TX. My medical information was wronfully disclosed to my employers by a county healthcare provider(s). HIPAA's investigative office, the Office for Civil Rights under the Texas Department of Health and Human Services have filed an investigation and though statutes in the law of HIPAA say you can be fined thousands of dollars and face imprisonment my claims investigator respresentong me said the best I could hope for would be an apology. I am saddened that this government office put into place to protect us against people who wrongfully disclose our private medical information said that. Why are they even there then? They have a 180-day protocol to investigate/complete an investigation, my incident happened in April 2004, it is now September 2005 and JUST now I was assigned an investigator. The investigator is slow, has little motivation and concern for me, and informed me that "the best you can hope for is an apology". Folks, I lost my job dude to this. I was emotionally put into distress and suffered life changes due to this. A healthcare provider (County Indigent) I entrusted with my information purposefully released my medical information to my employers so that I may be fired. It was malicious. All because she seen me working there at the restaurant where she sometimes dined. I had a NON-communicable disease (Hep B to be exact) and I was fully ALLOWED to be working in the food service industry. There was NO reason for this to occur. On top of this a county judge who also learned of my medical situation (through gossip no doubt) also called my emplyers the same day and released my medical informaton as well "as a personal favor".
I have since then been cured, I also have relocated jobs and houses (due to emplyers harrassment once they learned of my situation), and have begun to attend a new school. I am distressed because my lawyers say they cant sue a county entity, and HIPAA officials investigating my claim say even if they do actualy impose fines, the money goes to the state, not me. I am at a loss. PLEASE give me advise. There has to be something more I can do. Thanks! :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">