• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hippa Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ybrown26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia... I am home from surgey and was informed by a fellow co-worker that the Benefits Administrator at my job is telling people about my surgery down to the details of exactly what my surgery entailed. Isn't this a violation of HIPPA?

ecmst12

1. HIPAA not HIPPA

2. It's only a violation if the way she got the information was in the course of her duties as benefits administrator. If you told her personally, and that's the only way she found out, it might not be a violation. You can contact the HIPAA board to file a complaint if you like. The most that's likely to come of it is a warning/training for the office.

Health Information Privacy

ecmst12

It's questionable whether it's a violation, but like I said, you can report it either way. But YOU don't get anything out of it, whether it's a violation or not. HIPAA does not provide for any payments to be made to "victims" of violations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">