• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hopefully in the right place- public school way overstepping their bounds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madmom12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
I am very upset to learn that my son has been attending some sort of counseling program at his Jr High. His grades have been bad because he is very lazy and the teachers have just let him slide. He is very smart so it is not like he has a learning problem, just a doing problem. He told me a couple months ago that he was involved in this thing called 'On Track' for kids who are having trouble with school work. I was thinking that this was great; that they were finally trying to help him to get caught up/ get to business, academically.
13 year old boys are not very forthcoming but he has let little things slip here and there about some of the things they talk about in 'On Track'. I started to get suspicious and questioned him and found out that this group meeting has him out of his English class every Tuesday- which he says is his main reason for wanting to go, naturally. I googled this place and they are a non-profit addiction recovery program that does "school based counseling and treatment services" and is apparently contracted by the school. I was never informed of this and never given a permission slip and no information about this program whatsoever!
I am shocked, appalled and very hurt that my son would be picked to attend something like this. I am not an alcoholic or drug addict! I have raised 2 other grown children who are contributing members of society. My son is probably one of the least likely to get involved in that sort of behavior. I work from my home so I can be there for him (and also keep close tabs). I am livid that they have decided to go over and above my parenting rights and particularly since it is definitely not helping him academically!
One other thing- one of On Track's former counselors/former meth addict (He went through their program and then was hired by them) murdered his former girlfriend just this summer in our area. How did they meet? When she went through the On Track program and he was a counselor! That is so inappropriate and unprofessional and quite frankly, horrifies me. Makes me wonder how well the school is screening these people.
Can a public school just do this? What actions can I take? Where can I turn? I really feel that we have somehow been labeled and my rights have been trampled on big time! All the school has to say is that they are sorry and they do not know how my son got into this program without a permission slip.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I have never posted here before so I hope I am in the right place.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

First step might be to call the school and arrange a meeting with the principal to discuss this program and why children might be placed in it. You may find that the information you have is not entirely accurate.

You might also discuss with the principal and the teacher some alternatives that might allow him to get back on track. This might involve a great deal of work on your part as well as the school. Many children have a couple of hours homework each night - at least! And some of the schools that excel in academics will have an even heavier load.

If he has a "doing problem," as you phrase it, then you need to be on top of it at home as well as keep in constant communication with the teacher about what needs to be done. Yes, you will need to crack the whip at home. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.

Before you start considering this some sort of grand legal issue, work it out with the school administration and the teacher. Heck, for all you know your son presented them with a signed permission slip that he or a friend forged! Before you get angry, get more information and talk to them.

madmom12

I am totally 100% convinced he is not doing anything wrong in that respect. As I stated, I am here in the morning when he leaves and here when he comes home. There is no lag time for him to do anything. He is not allowed to run unattended with other kids- like to hang out at the mall. Most of the time I encourage his friends to come here. He is not allowed to go to other houses if I do not know the parents. He really is a good kid that I get compliments on all the time. When is the last time a 13 year old boy held a door for you or used 'please & thank you'? Come on, you have to trust me on this- I do know my son very well. If he was in trouble I would be grateful for any and all help! That is just not the case.
I have been trying to work on his "doing problem" with the teachers since after the 1st quarter report cards came out. They have dropped the ball since our last meeting where we decided to have a homework sheet go home everyday. It worked until after Winter Break when I have yet to see anything. Naturally I can only assume he is doing what he is supposed to if I do not hear otherwise. I can't exactly help him with homework if I don't know what it is, now can I?
As far as the admin goes, as stated, of course I have talked to them and I am NOT getting any good answers so far. "Sorry" and "we don't know how that happened" are not good enough!

CdwJava

Have they told you how to remove him from this program he is in? If you cannot remove him, why not?

The point with homework is that he is at the point where the school expects him to be largely responsible for his own work. At the age of 13 I suspect he is in 7th or 8th grade and the expectation is that he takes his own initiative. Teachers are not going to hold his hand at this level. Some teachers might be more forthcoming with info than others and that is what you might want to address with the school. I have the emails of all the teachers for one of my sons and if i do't receive a written or email update as to progress or assignments at least once each week, I get a hold of them. Do not wait for them to contact you, because they may be too busy to do that. Your child might be one of 150 they might see in the course of a school day and that one teacher in that one class is not all that likely to pay close attention to just one student.

I hold my son accountable for getting ME the information I need. If he has no homework, he had better have something in writing that affirms this, or I had better be able to confirm this with the teacher the next day. We no longer give him the leeway to say he doesn't have any. You probably need to put the ball back in your son's court and make HIM carry the water on this. if he knows that he will be held accountable, then maybe he will get you the information you need and improve his grades.

CdwJava

i'm curious about how a convicted killer is running around loose in the school district.....
That might be one reason why he is a "former" counselor.

All because he used to be a counselor does not mean the program is poor in some way ... if that were the case, we have problems because we have killer former teachers, killer former cops, killer former lawyers, killer former politicians ... all because someone kills does not mean the whole class of people they might have been associated with at one time are suspect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">