• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

george323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My stepson was called a retard by a cast member at Disneyland California. He has a disability with seizures. Does anyone know if theres anything I can do legally?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

You can complain to Disney. They tend to take such things rather seriously. Their employees are under some very strict orders with regards to interactions with the public.

Do you at least know the person's name?

If you are asking whether you have cause for a lawsuit against Disney for this, I don't see it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My stepson was called a retard by a cast member at Disneyland California. He has a disability with seizures. Does anyone know if theres anything I can do legally?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
To be clear, there is nothing YOU can do legally at all. As was mentioned, you can file a complaint, but you have no standing at all to pursue things on the legal side of things.

With that said, there is no case here...

sandyclaus

As far as legal recourse? No. You did not just win the lawsuit lottery. While what the cast member was clearly insensitive, it was not something that warrants any civil penalty. It MIGHT if you could prove that the Disney outfit has a standard practice or a known history of showing such prejudice against it's guests, but you would be very hard-pressed to find that to be true.

File your complaint with park management, and the employee will be disciplined or terminated most likely.

Hot Topic

If you decide to sue Disneyland, the first thing your attorney is going to ask you is, "What do you mean, a cast member at Disneyland? Which cast? Can you identify the person? Do you have witnesses?

Knowing how strict Disneyland is regarding public relations, I have a hard time believing that "a cast member" said what you attribute to him or her.

You didn't mention going to anyone and asking who you should speak to regarding the alleged comment. You didn't mention calling Disneyland for the information. It looks like your real interest is getting right to the question of how much money Disneyland might be willing to pay.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you decide to sue Disneyland, the first thing your attorney is going to ask you is, "What do you mean, a cast member at Disneyland? Which cast? Can you identify the person? Do you have witnesses?
Negative - the FIRST question will be: "Why do you think you have standing to sue on behalf of your step-child?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">