• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal for test prep companies to refuse extra time accommodations on CBTs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Wormboge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Is it illegal for test prep companies to only offer computer-based practice tests with standard time, and to refuse to provide any sort of accommodation, such as extra time, an untimed test, or paper versions, to anyone with a learning disability (who have been approved for extra time on the real exam)?

PS - Please be nice. I am new to this forum. This is my first post.

Last edited:

Peter.Wormboge

Why would that be illegal? If you don't like the format of the class, don't take that class.
I would think that they would be required to provide a "reasonable" accommodation?

A clarification: the question is about computer-based practice tests for sale by test prep companies (sold separately), not about classes.

Why the clarification is important: Many students cannot afford to pay for a test prep class. If you want to purchase practice tests separately, there are 3 companies that provide those. And 2 of those companies ONLY sell computer-based tests that end automatically when time has run out. All people with learning disabilities who have been approved for extra time for the real exam, are being refused ANY accommodation that could result in extra time by those 2 main test-prep companies. In other words, learning disabled students have access to about 8 practice tests. For the sake of comparison, their non-learning disabled peers would get over 25 practice tests. IMO, that's a significant disadvantage.

It seems to me that it would be "reasonable" to provide either a paper copy, an untimed test, or more time for some students.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
To be clear, the question is about computer-based practice tests for sale by test prep companies (sold separately), not about classes. That might be an important point, because those [who require extra time] AND cannot afford to take test prep "classes" are stuck with roughly 8 practice tests. For the sake of comparison, their non-learning disabled peers would get 25 practice tests. IMO, that's a significant disadvantage.

It seems to me that it would be "reasonable" to provide either a paper copy or more time for some students.
Maybe it would be 'reasonable' for ALL students to study the MATERIAL that is the focus of the tests instead of the tests themselves. :cool:

ecmst12

If you're not happy with what this company offers...don't buy their product. And the time to decide is BEFORE you buy it. They can offer whatever they want.

swalsh411

If you're asking if there is a law requiring them to provide a hard copy because a customer has a disability the answer is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">