• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inquiry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hex.40

I live in Texas, I am 19 years of age.

My mother and I were living in a friends house. My mother still resides at the residence with my friend and his mother. I was only able to take a few clothes and belongings due to having to walk to leave the house (only able to fill a backpack). I was forced to leave the house due to verbal arguments between my mother and I. My mother has filed theft charges on me for taking my property out of the house. I need to know if anything given to me after my 18th birthday is lawfully considered mine. Is it any crime for my mother to withhold personal documents such as Social Security card, High School Transcript, Birth Certificate, Immunization records etc. If the reasons for leaving are important legally speaking I will be glad to explain in detail.

Some items were given to me after the age of 18 and were to pay off a debt that my mother had built up over the years. (does this change anything?)

Thank you.

sandyclaus

I live in Texas, I am 19 years of age.

My mother and I were living in a friends house. My mother still resides at the residence with my friend and his mother. I was only able to take a few clothes and belongings due to having to walk to leave the house (only able to fill a backpack). I was forced to leave the house due to verbal arguments between my mother and I. My mother has filed theft charges on me for taking my property out of the house. I need to know if anything given to me after my 18th birthday is lawfully considered mine. Is it any crime for my mother to withhold personal documents such as Social Security card, High School Transcript, Birth Certificate, Immunization records etc. If the reasons for leaving are important legally speaking I will be glad to explain in detail.

Some items were given to me after the age of 18 and were to pay off a debt that my mother had built up over the years. (does this change anything?)

Thank you.
This is not a civil rights issue.

Any items given to you by your mother might be disputed, especially if she has the proofs of purchase and you do not. You'd have to prove they were gifts in order to make a valid claim, and it would be a civil claim rather than a criminal one.

As for your transcript, social security card, birth certificate, etc., presumably as an adult, you are more than capable of obtaining your own copies of these documents for yourself. The copies are her own for her own personal use and she is not obligated to give them to you.

No need to elaborate on the situation. The circumstances are fairly clear in what's NOT being said. Time for you to be out there, on your own, providing for yourself as an adult now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">