• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicked out of bar for drinking water

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joseph K

Recently I was asked to leave a bar by a couple of bouncers. I asked why, and they said for drinking water. Many times I see woman drinking water, and they are not told to leave, but I was wondering if this was a pretext for something else, it seems as soon as I got in there I felt as if one of the bouncers was sort of watching me, but who knows or if a bartender told the bouncers. What's ironic is that the bartender was the one who asked if I wanted a refill, and the last time I was there a guy was removed for being drunk. There is no sign posted for a drink minimum, but essentially can a person be asked to leave for any reason?. I know in this bar district, people have been fined for loitering, which makes no sense either.

quincy

Recently I was asked to leave a bar by a couple of bouncers. I asked why, and they said for drinking water. Many times I see woman drinking water, and they are not told to leave, but I was wondering if this was a pretext for something else, it seems as soon as I got in there I felt as if one of the bouncers was sort of watching me, but who knows or if a bartender told the bouncers. What's ironic is that the bartender was the one who asked if I wanted a refill, and the last time I was there a guy was removed for being drunk. There is no sign posted for a drink minimum, but essentially can a person be asked to leave for any reason?. I know in this bar district, people have been fined for loitering, which makes no sense either.
What is the name of your state, Joseph K?

Yes, you can be asked to leave a bar for drinking water.

quincy

wi******************************************...
Thank you for providing your state name, Joseph K.

A bar owner (or the bar owner's representative) can ask a bar visitor to leave his bar for pretty much any reason at all.

It is generally not in a bar owner's best interest to treat visitors to the bar poorly but allowing people to congregate in the bar, drinking water and taking up space, is not exactly in the bar owner's best interest, either. The bar is in the business of making money.

Proserpina

(I know I'm coma-posting ... not quite necro-posting..)

I'm beginning to wonder if this is OP's Discrimination 101 homework...

quincy

Well...yeah. Thread not old enough to meet necropost criteria. It's the best I could think of at short notice :D

Think workplace .... lessons. So to speak.
Oh. I just saw Joseph K. as someone who likes the bar atmosphere (or sports TV or WiFi or a waitress) but doesn't like alcohol. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">