• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit Against Big Departmental Store in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

law3

NYC, NY

I have been experiencing prejudicial hostile treatment from a big store in NYC.

No matter which store branch I choose or formal complaint I make, I still get discriminated against. This has been going on for years now. The last time I went to shop there, I was humilated and denied entry. The staff decided to disgrace me in front of the other customers. They treated me like a thief and told me that I have been banned from the store forever. I tried to explain to them that I'm a regular shopper at this particular store branch and I have spent hundreds of dollars there this year alone as my reward card would show. However, they wouldn't listen to me and forced me out of the store. I know the real reason why they were discriminating against me. It is because of nationality, disability and sexual orientation. Now I panic and afraid to go out or shop in any store. Help!!!

Their main goal was to make me feel subhuman because of the things they felt I had against me - nationality, disability, and sexual orientation, and race. I believe they don't properly train their employees or properly address matters like this when it occurs.

OHRoadwarrior

Generally speaking, a store or chain, may refuse to serve anyone for any reason, not prohibited by law. If you feel you have a valid discrimination case, consult a local lawyer.

RRevak

OP I can't imagine EVERY SINGLE STORE BRANCH actively engaging in discrimination towards you personally. It really isn't as if they have your personal image on a wall somewhere in their back rooms and training seminars telling their employees that if they see you, to run you out like a bandit. Either you're doing something (or have done something in the past) legitimately wrong that is making it hard for you to be allowed into certain stores, or your sense of paranoia is getting the better of you.

tranquility

They treated me like a thief and told me that I have been banned from the store forever.
Like the others, I believe there is clearly more here. If the OP thinks there is discrimination based on prohibited characteristic, he should see an attorney. However, until that is handled and some resolution is had there (or in discussion with store management), if he returns to the store he could be arrested for trespassing. A verbal warning is enough; although I suspect a written warning was given at some point if he has been banned from all branches.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
OP, what EVIDENCE do you have that you are being chased out due to your race, nationality etc.? It's not enough to say, "I know that's the reason" - you need EVIDENCE to prevail in a lawsuit.

Got any? (and no, "well, what else could it be?") is not evidence.

law3

i suffer from a very embarrassing medical condition which causes people to talk behind my back and make fun of me. i can deal with that. but sometimes some people get even bolder and choose to harass me even more strongly like in the case of the employees of this store denying me entry unjustly and slandering me in front of their customers to make me look like a thief so as to justify their unjust actions towards me. They had the product i wanted to purchase that day. And their cameras would show me heading towards the area where that product is located before one of the store workers came to me and told me to leave. and i went to make a complaint to the supervisor and the supervisor forced me to leave as well. and i had to buy that product else where that day because i needed the product to treat my medical condition.

Eekamouse

So you were able to buy your much needed product somewhere else. Be glad not every store has it out for you.

Eekamouse

What medical condition can cause people to talk behind your back and make fun of you? That is really ridiculous.

OHRoadwarrior

Aside from "raccoon eye", I cannot conceive of a medical disability that would make you look like a thief. I suggest you proposition is flawed.

tranquility

but sometimes some people get even bolder and choose to harass me even more strongly like in the case of the employees of this store denying me entry unjustly and slandering me in front of their customers to make me look like a thief so as to justify their unjust actions towards me.
That you think you have been denied entry "unjustly" is a cause for a lawsuit--if true and if for a prohibited reason.

HOWEVER,
And their cameras would show me heading towards the area where that product is located before one of the store workers came to me and told me to leave. and i went to make a complaint to the supervisor and the supervisor forced me to leave as well. and i had to buy that product else where that day because i needed the product to treat my medical condition.
It seems to me they may have evidence of you committing a crime on camera.

You cannot go in where you are not wanted. Period. If you believe you have been discriminated against, you need to file a lawsuit. I don't see one on what you have said, but I don't know all the facts. One fact I do know is that you will be arrested for trespassing if you continue to force your way in to all stores of this chain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">