• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lock box theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CashOG

I live in colorado, im 20 yeas old. I've currently had some addiction trouble. I have a lock box to keep my things put up and protect myself from further legal trouble, as my understanding it cannot be open by law enforcement without a warrant. I live with my grandparentS, while I was sleeping my parents came into my room and took my lock box and keys. Can they do that because they assumed there was illegal items in the box (which they most likely know there was) or is it considered theft and can I report it to get my belongings back? If they decide to call the police then am I protected because they did steal it? Can I deny the box is even mine, even if there are multiple people saying they took it from my home? This has nothing to do with me wanting what's in the box more so, I do not want to have legal action taken against me. I know it's something they are most likely going to try. They have taken things that have been out in my room and used it as evidence in police reports they have made against me. Any advice of how to handle this situation is appreciated.
Thanks.

FlyingRon

If there are illegal items in the box, I strongly suggest you do NOT involve the police. Why do drug addicts think the police are going to give you a pass when you report your drugs stolen?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My advice would be to move and let your parents live a life in which they don't feel the need to do such things.

Eekamouse

I live in colorado, im 20 yeas old. I've currently had some addiction trouble. I have a lock box to keep my things put up and protect myself from further legal trouble, as my understanding it cannot be open by law enforcement without a warrant. I live with my grandparentS, while I was sleeping my parents came into my room and took my lock box and keys. Can they do that because they assumed there was illegal items in the box (which they most likely know there was) or is it considered theft and can I report it to get my belongings back? If they decide to call the police then am I protected because they did steal it? Can I deny the box is even mine, even if there are multiple people saying they took it from my home? This has nothing to do with me wanting what's in the box more so, I do not want to have legal action taken against me. I know it's something they are most likely going to try. They have taken things that have been out in my room and used it as evidence in police reports they have made against me. Any advice of how to handle this situation is appreciated.
Thanks.
If you don't want them taking your things, move out on your own. You don't mind leeching off your family but you do mind them exposing your drug use. Pathetic.

Just Blue

Thanks.
I am so happy that my children are NOTHING like you. You should be ashamed that you treat your parents this way. I advise you to report this to the police. I am sure you will not have a addiction issue after that. ;)

FlyingRon

They are under no obligation to put themselves at the risk of criminal charges and possible loss of their house because your drug-addled freeloading self can't keep illegal drugs out of their home.

You lost any right to "principle" the moment you brought illegal drugs into their house.

RRevak

If you know you have a drug problem, why aren't you asking your parents to assist you in getting help rather than putting them in crappy situations they don't deserve to be in due to your active usage? THAT should be what you are on here asking advice about. NOT how you can keep your drugs from being taken....

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Both you and your grandparents are lucky to have parents/children who care enough to do something. About you to take what action is needed to save you from yourself and about the grandparents to protect them from the legal issues they could face from your "illegal items".

Go ahead and report the "theft". I suspect they will get little more than a finger-wagging (if that) from any judge they face. YOU on the other hand...

cyjeff

Your problem is that someone went into your room... while you were sleeping, mind... and stole your lockbox full of drugs?

it simply doesn't matter what we say. You can't do a damn thing about it.

Honestly, if you were my kid and told me that strangers on the internet said that you could have your box chock full of drugs back, I would tell you to piss off. Your only hope is to tell the police that your parents took your box of drugs and won't give it back.

Please record the call and post it on the internet. Thanks.

Oh, and who the heck told you that your locked box of drugs... that everyone KNOWS is a locked box of drugs... is safe from law enforcement because it is under your bed at your grandma's house? Grandma can give consent to a search at any time.

Even if your box of drugs says, "don't open me." in big letters on it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your problem is that someone went into your room... while you were sleeping, mind... and stole your lockbox full of drugs?

it simply doesn't matter what we say. You can't do a damn thing about it.

Honestly, if you were my kid and told me that strangers on the internet said that you could have your box chock full of drugs back, I would tell you to piss off. Your only hope is to tell the police that your parents took your box of drugs and won't give it back.

Please record the call and post it on the internet. Thanks.

Oh, and who the heck told you that your locked box of drugs... that everyone KNOWS is a locked box of drugs... is safe from law enforcement because it is under your bed at your grandma's house? Grandma can give consent to a search at any time.

Even if your box of drugs says, "don't open me." in big letters on it.
Priceless. And worth a Q4P. Especially the last sentence.

TigerD

Grandma can give consent to a search at any time.
This gets into some pretty complicated legal questions. Can grandma give consent to search the grandson's locked box? I'm not so sure she has the authority to do so. However, whether she actually has the authority to consent to a search, if she represents to the officer (who doesn't know better) that she does, is the search then valid under good faith? Would the officer have seized the container pending a warrant regardless of lack of consent to search? If so and the officer had probable cause, then does inevitable discovery apply?

There are a lot of variables that apply to the quoted statement that are extremely fact specific. So, I'm not so sure that grandma can give consent to search grandson's box.

It is far more likely that grandma has already flushed juniors party treats or passed them along the senior citizen drug network (yeah, amazing - there actually is one for prescription drugs).

TD

cyjeff

This gets into some pretty complicated legal questions. Can grandma give consent to search the grandson's locked box? I'm not so sure she has the authority to do so. However, whether she actually has the authority to consent to a search, if she represents to the officer (who doesn't know better) that she does, is the search then valid under good faith? Would the officer have seized the container pending a warrant regardless of lack of consent to search? If so and the officer had probable cause, then does inevitable discovery apply?

There are a lot of variables that apply to the quoted statement that are extremely fact specific. So, I'm not so sure that grandma can give consent to search grandson's box.

It is far more likely that grandma has already flushed juniors party treats or passed them along the senior citizen drug network (yeah, amazing - there actually is one for prescription drugs).

TD
Just to clarify... are you saying that Grandma CANNOT authorize a search of her own home and the contents thereof?

Please explain and include the case law.

Thanks.

RRevak

Just to clarify... are you saying that Grandma CANNOT authorize a search of her own home and the contents thereof?

Please explain and include the case law.

Thanks.
If memory serves, and i'll have to recheck to be sure, if OP is considered a lawful tenant of grandmas home then his room is off limits for searches as its his space and no longer hers. She would only be able to give consent for the common areas of the home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">