• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

loitering / personal right

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottprater865

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I was at a place of business with a "No Loitering" sign in TN. The guy that works there already took me out to the side of the building and threatened to assault me due to personal reasons he had against me. I then walk away from his threats, and he claims that I have to leave unless I buy something. I make my purchase, then I walk outside and talk to a buddy. I was there for no more than 5 minutes, then he had a police officer come and tell me to leave. Did I have a right to be there, and have a conversation with my buddy? Or, was he in the right?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I was at a place of business with a "No Loitering" sign in TN. The guy that works there already took me out to the side of the building and threatened to assault me due to personal reasons he had against me. I then walk away from his threats, and he claims that I have to leave unless I buy something. I make my purchase, then I walk outside and talk to a buddy. I was there for no more than 5 minutes, then he had a police officer come and tell me to leave. Did I have a right to be there, and have a conversation with my buddy? Or, was he in the right?
You were told the leave by the worker at the business. That effectively rescinds any permission to be on the premises. Not for another minute, and certainly not for another 5 minutes.

You did not have a right to remain on the premises. Since you failed to heed the worker's warning for you to leave, the worker was well within his rights to enforce the "No Loitering" law, of which you were already aware due to the signage, and summon police to enforce it.

If you're thinking that whatever "personal reasons" the guy had against you somehow gives you the right to violate the "No Loitering" law, I think you may find that you're sadly mistaken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">