• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misdemeanor B advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eliza

we live in Texas. We are a family of four ( 2 adults, 2 kids, 13 and 19 yrs old) Canadian citizens.
We have applied for permanent residence in USA and it seems it goes well; we have an interview in two weeks.
About a year ago, my son was charged for recreational use of marijuana; The judge classified it as a class B misdemeanor. ( little we knew; from where we come from, Vancouver, British Columbia, everybody grows pot on their balconies)

My husband's company lawyers deal with the green card. They asked us for $2500, to file a waiver for my son's case; we refused to pay, we filed the waiver ourselves for $250.
The waiver was received by the authorities (we got confirmation), my son has been issued a work permit and a social security card ( temporary, until we get the permanent residence)

Now, in view of this interview, the company lawyers strongly advice us to get legal couseling for my son's interview. I need to know if it's absolutely imperative.

His wrongs apart, my son is quite articulate and in my opinion, if the truly and accurately states his case, there shouldn't be anything that can lead him to refusal of green card, or ordering him out of USA. (but again, I'm a Canadian, what do I know?)

If he is denied however, can we appeal his case? I'm thimking: out of the 5 teenagers charged with less than 2 oz of marijuana, one of them got away with no fine, probation or suspension of DL. When we asked the lawyer "how come", he said " it's political and I can't say anything about it)

Any advice is welcome and I thank you well in advanceWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">