• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was my rights violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaun75

I am an African-American travel blogger who often blogs about my travel experiences. On June 19, 2015, I flew Lufthansa airlines. I was aboard the 3:45 pm from ORD to Frankfurt, Germany. Upon boarding the plane, I had my phone in my hand recording the seats. When I got to my seat, one of your flight attendants tells me that I may have recorded her and that I was not allowed to record. After chatting with her, I figured whatever no biggie and deleted the video right in front of her. About 10 minutes later, the stewardess returns with a man who I assumed was over the flight attendants; he tells me that I recorded video, and it was not allowed. I told him that I just deleted it, so I’m not sure what it is you want from me. The flight attendant then tells him she saw me text someone, I informed her that I texted my family to let them know I was on the plane and would call them when I landed. I asked her was she watching me and would she harass me every 5 minutes about my phone she responded “no every ten minutes”. I kept telling them I deleted the video, and they kept questioning me until my Caucasian German friend told them I had deleted it, and I was insulted. They then left me alone but gave me nasty looks throughout the whole flight thus making me very uncomfortable. The people sitting next to me told me that the situation was crazy, and they were out of line.
1) I would have never recorded at all had I not seen YouTube videos of people doing the same thing. However, they were Caucasian, so I guess it was okay. The videos on YouTube do in fact show the flight attendant faces.
2) I passed by two armed guards and the flight attendant greeting people at the entrance with my phone in hand, and none of them told me that videos were not allowed.
3) I was highly offended because even after deleting the video, I was harassed and questioned as if I was a liar.
On Sunday, June 28th I flew back to ORD from Munich. After going through 2 security screenings, I got to the gate and out of 200 people in line ironically, I was pulled out for a special security screening. It would have been okay if other people faced special screenings as well, but it was only me! Your employee took one look at me and said I needed a special security screening. While the other Caucasian passengers boarded the plane, I was over in the corner showing security my camera, having my private parts felt up, and being stared at like I had the bubonic plague! It was only after my friend once again said something that I was free to go!
With all of the racial tension going on in the United States right now, I would think that I could at least have a decent vacation. I have never been so humiliated or degraded in all the days of my life. The situation has bothered me every day since I’ve returned... Have my rights been violated?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am an African-American travel blogger who often blogs about my travel experiences. On June 19, 2015, I flew Lufthansa airlines. I was aboard the 3:45 pm from ORD to Frankfurt, Germany. Upon boarding the plane, I had my phone in my hand recording the seats. When I got to my seat, one of your flight attendants tells me that I may have recorded her and that I was not allowed to record. After chatting with her, I figured whatever no biggie and deleted the video right in front of her. About 10 minutes later, the stewardess returns with a man who I assumed was over the flight attendants; he tells me that I recorded video, and it was not allowed. I told him that I just deleted it, so I’m not sure what it is you want from me. The flight attendant then tells him she saw me text someone, I informed her that I texted my family to let them know I was on the plane and would call them when I landed. I asked her was she watching me and would she harass me every 5 minutes about my phone she responded “no every ten minutes”. I kept telling them I deleted the video, and they kept questioning me until my Caucasian German friend told them I had deleted it, and I was insulted. They then left me alone but gave me nasty looks throughout the whole flight thus making me very uncomfortable. The people sitting next to me told me that the situation was crazy, and they were out of line.
1) I would have never recorded at all had I not seen YouTube videos of people doing the same thing. However, they were Caucasian, so I guess it was okay. The videos on YouTube do in fact show the flight attendant faces.
2) I passed by two armed guards and the flight attendant greeting people at the entrance with my phone in hand, and none of them told me that videos were not allowed.
3) I was highly offended because even after deleting the video, I was harassed and questioned as if I was a liar.
On Sunday, June 28th I flew back to ORD from Munich. After going through 2 security screenings, I got to the gate and out of 200 people in line ironically, I was pulled out for a special security screening. It would have been okay if other people faced special screenings as well, but it was only me! Your employee took one look at me and said I needed a special security screening. While the other Caucasian passengers boarded the plane, I was over in the corner showing security my camera, having my private parts felt up, and being stared at like I had the bubonic plague! It was only after my friend once again said something that I was free to go!
With all of the racial tension going on in the United States right now, I would think that I could at least have a decent vacation. I have never been so humiliated or degraded in all the days of my life. The situation has bothered me every day since I’ve returned... Have my rights been violated?
No.

ETA: Your rights weren't violated in the US. I can't tell you if your rights were violated in Germany because this forum only handles US law.

justalayman

ORD is in the US and it appears both issues took place while on US soil; one within the plane and one actually in the terminal

anyway:

was anybody else video recording? If not, it kind of defeats the "I'm black so they..." thing. They can create and enforce whatever rules they choose. Given the issues the airlines have had involving phones, I would not be surprised if they had a no recording rule and many others. If others were recording; were they told it was not allowed?

Regarding the issue on the return: the airline does not control the TSA who is the entity that would have searched you. And your friend saying something not only would not have made any difference but it might have even caused them to give him the extra attention you were receiving.

as far as giving you nasty looks; unless things have changed, they didn't have time to give you nasty looks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ORD is in the US and it appears both issues took place while on US soil; one within the plane and one actually in the terminal
Read again:

On Sunday, June 28th I flew back to ORD from Munich. After going through 2 security screenings, I got to the gate and out of 200 people in line ironically, I was pulled out for a special security screening.
The OP says he was pulled out of line while in Munich.

justalayman

Read again:

The OP says he was pulled out of line while in Munich.
yep, that one is my error but the first issue happened while setting on the ground in Chicago. Unless the airliners are considered sovereign territory, that was a US issue.

I see what tripped me up:

While the other Caucasian passengers boarded the plane, I was over in the corner showing security my camera, having my private parts felt up, and being stared at like I had the bubonic plague!
I figured only the TSA would have been offering the two'fer deal; you get a plane ride and a handy j for one price. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">