• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighborhood HOA Openly Proseltytizing Christian Faith on Main Entrance Welcome Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wnachefski

I live in Texas

Our neighborhood recently built a new electronic, marquee sign at its main entrance (Jan12). It displays important neighborhood news and information. It also displays a daily, Christian bible verse. These are not the benign, "motivational" type messages you normally see on church marquees. These are the fire and brimstone, rath of god type messages. I do not think a neighborhood sign that I help pay for, with my HOA dues should be proselytizing like this. The messages are very aggressive, I’ve taken ample pictures, complained to the HOA and board of directors and they do nothing. It’s been 3 months since I first started complaining and now they do not respond to my calls or emails. The messages are still changing daily. I have pictures of the messages, and email trains from my dealings with the HOA and board of directors. Every day I drive by this sign and I am getting frustrated, and am frankly embarrassed of where I live. It’s not right.

FlyingRon

There's no requirement that the HOA not establish a religion. They are not the government.
Absent some form of illegal discrimination which I do not see here, it's most likely protected speech.
Therefore, as DC points out, your recourse is determined by the HOA bylaws, etc... that govern what the board can do and what recourse the members have against them.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I live in Texas

Our neighborhood recently built a new electronic, marquee sign at its main entrance (Jan12). It displays important neighborhood news and information. It also displays a daily, Christian bible verse. These are not the benign, "motivational" type messages you normally see on church marquees. These are the fire and brimstone, rath of god type messages. I do not think a neighborhood sign that I help pay for, with my HOA dues should be proselytizing like this. The messages are very aggressive, I’ve taken ample pictures, complained to the HOA and board of directors and they do nothing. It’s been 3 months since I first started complaining and now they do not respond to my calls or emails. The messages are still changing daily. I have pictures of the messages, and email trains from my dealings with the HOA and board of directors. Every day I drive by this sign and I am getting frustrated, and am frankly embarrassed of where I live. It’s not right.
Are you afraid of catching religion? :cool:

xylene

Feel strongly?

Publicly vandalize the sign as an act to defile god.

Make the news.

I'd secretly hack the LED controller module to have it print subversive messages like quotes from the bible that make christians sound like race baiting women haters mired in hypocritical reactionary dogma that fails even to be internally consistent.

Yay! God! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Last edited:

xylene

Now, Now X, we know you are joking
I am joking in so far as I am not exactly offering a serious action plan.

BUT

If the OP was that worked up about it, civil disobedience would be an approach.

Putting things in perspective and moving out of Texas is perhaps better.

wnachefski

Great forum.

Judging by the immaturity of the responses I will seek counsel elsewhere. Leave Texas? Hate god? Common. This is a serious matter. It obiously has nothing to do with my HOA establishing a religion. It has everything to do with discrimination and favortisim. A sign, paid for by the homeowners(a diverse group), should not show favor to only one particular religion. It affects my home value by limiting the type of person who will want to buy my house. You think a Muslim or Atheist will want to see this everyday on their way to and from work. I think not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Judging by the immaturity of the responses I will seek counsel elsewhere. Leave Texas? Hate god? Common. This is a serious matter. It obiously has nothing to do with my HOA establishing a religion. It has everything to do with discrimination and favortisim. A sign, paid for by the homeowners(a diverse group), should not show favor to only one particular religion. It affects my home value by limiting the type of person who will want to buy my house. You think a Muslim or Atheist will want to see this everyday on their way to and from work. I think not.
Run for a spot on the board.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Americans do not have the right to not be offended.

Muslims don't care if you celebrate Christian holidays or quote the Bible. They recognize JC as a Great Prophet. :cool:

tranquility

Your remedies are through the HOA.

There is nothing criminal happening. There is nothing happening that is in violation of your civil rights. There is not a breach of contract. There is not a tort. Your only solution is through the HOA process. Look to your organizing documents. Pay to put up your own message. Object to your neighbors so those on the board fear for their position. Or, do what zigner suggests and run for the board. Sheesh. This is NOT a serious matter. The only ones who care, or, with these types of messages who CAN care are members of the HOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">