• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

North carolina lgbtq, cont.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well..... Since it was locked before I could comment..... This is a topic near and dear to me as I *do* have a transgender child. Last fall, she and I traveled to see my younger daughter play one of her last college games. Every rest stop, my child went into the men's room (gender assigned at birth) and I sat and worried. But here is what those who think these laws will protect people from those "pretending" to be trans* don't get - Trans* folks don't want to draw attention to themselves. Mens or Ladies room? They actually use a stall. They're not there flashing their body around. Transitioned or not, top/bottom surgery or not - they tend towards privacy. And given the number of trans* people who are murdered for accepting who they were born to be - what makes you think that they would choose this life?

And btw..... Trans* does not equate to Homosexual.

Just Blue

Well..... Since it was locked before I could comment..... This is a topic near and dear to me as I *do* have a transgender child. Last fall, she and I traveled to see my younger daughter play one of her last college games. Every rest stop, my child went into the men's room (gender assigned at birth) and I sat and worried. But here is what those who think these laws will protect people from those "pretending" to be trans* don't get - Trans* folks don't want to draw attention to themselves. Mens or Ladies room? They actually use a stall. They're not there flashing their body around. Transitioned or not, top/bottom surgery or not - they tend towards privacy. And given the number of trans* people who are murdered for accepting who they were born to be - what makes you think that they would choose this life?

And btw..... Trans* does not equate to Homosexual.
I know...Sorry for my mis-spoken comment. I am still learning.

ajkroy

I read OG's thread yesterday and at first, I thought that she had made a mistake; surely she meant Georgia, right? But after researching, I was disgusted to find out that there are TWO states with these bills on the cusp of passing. :eek:

It IS 2016, isn't it? :(

Just Blue

I read OG's thread yesterday and at first, I thought that she had made a mistake; surely she meant Georgia, right? But after researching, I was disgusted to find out that there are TWO states with these bills on the cusp of passing. :eek:

Apparently some state thinks it is 1916.

May
I say, yet again, how MUCH I LOVE Massachusetts? Yes. I do. :cool:

tranquility

Trans* folks don't want to draw attention to themselves.
Some don't.

The key to most theories of some "right" to use a bathroom based on gender (Whatever that means as it is all a "construct".) rather than sex usually flows from the penumbric right of privacy. The right to be who you are without having to explain to others.

If people walk into a bathroom go into cis own stall does cis business in the manner of the identified gender and leaves, few are going to be bothered or care. But, the some who don't often have an agenda. The agenda is not to support cis own privacy, but to make cis private matter public in a way everyone must just accept or be attacked for being discriminatory. Do a quick search of news articles of those where the police were called or there was some problem in the store/whatever where the owner asked the person to leave or otherwise "discriminate" against for using a bathroom of a different sex. The majority concern activists who were doing something to draw attention to themselves.

Don't the percentage of the 99.996% of the population that are not transgender who choose the privacy of a bathroom/dressing space assigned to their sex have some privacy rights as well?

quincy

This type of thread never seems to turn out well.

Following is a link to a similar thread from a few years ago where the debate became heated and ugly, many posts were reported and deleted, and the thread eventually closed.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-crimes-federal-state-4/called-name-other-than-my-legal-name-574567.html

There seems to have been little progress made in educating those in this country who believe that sexual predators lurk inside all of those who identify with a gender other than the one given at birth. As many steps forward some states in this country have taken, there are still those in a few states who want to go backward in time and deny rights to small portions of the population that do not fit nicely into their preconceived notions of what it means to be human.

Unreasonable fears should never be the force that drives legislation. This is not now, nor has it ever been, a sex issue. This is a human rights and a legal rights issue. North Carolina has failed to recognize these rights.

tranquility

There seems to have been little progress made in educating those in this country who believe that sexual predators lurk inside all of those who identify with a gender other than the one given at birth. As many steps forward some states in this country have taken, there are still those in a few states who want to go backward in time and deny rights to small portions of the population that do not fit nicely into their preconceived notions of what it means to be human.

Unreasonable fears should never be the force that drives legislation. This is not now, nor has it ever been, a sex issue. This is a human rights and a legal rights issue. North Carolina has failed to recognize these rights.
My goodness, so many logical fallacies in such a short post. It is no wonder such threads generate more heat than light.

I'mTheFather

I agree that these threads never end well, so I will not comment on the issue here. Not saying I've never engaged in such debates, because I have. But, it's become clear that the back and forth doesn't accomplish what some, I think, wish it would; that is, to change minds. So, the most we can hope for in a thread like this, is that everyone will treat each other and each other's opinions with respect despite our differences.

So far, so good, IMO.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Actually this bill DID pass NC -- in one day from introduction in committee to signing by the governor.

tranquility

Actually this bill DID pass NC -- in one day from introduction in committee to signing by the governor.
It certainly seems the powers that be do not want to discuss the matter but want their way through political manipulation.

Like Obamacare, the law is nonsense. If you are going to pass something, go through the regular order and take responsibility for your beliefs.

I suspect, under regular order when the people talk to their representatives and the press has its way, this silly law would not have been passed. (While understanding some are confused by my position. READ without prejudice.)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I know...Sorry for my mis-spoken comment. I am still learning.
It's a process, I know. Still going through it.

Transgenderism isn't new to the world. There are numerous cultures that have long embraced trans* people as spiritually elevated. Sadly, we as a society are woefully behind the curve.

As for these kinds of threads going south? I appreciate the effort all are making to keep it civil.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">