• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not allowed on Field Trip..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajayb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Background...
My son is 11, in the 5th grade and has Asperger's and ADHD. He has had an IEP since kindergarten and is listed as Federal Setting 1.

My son had an incident happen in January with his teacher. This teacher slammed my son against the lockers outside the classroom after recess when he saw my son and another student pushing each other. This teacher does not like my son. I know this because he wrote on documentation that was requested of my son's doctor that my son "was and is becoming more of a misfit." In a meeting after the incident, he stated he will not allow my son his "10 minute" break if he is doing instruction and that he didn't care if it was listed in his IEP.

Since this incident, my son has endured other acts and comments by this teacher and students in the classroom have also started bullying my son. He tells me the other students "boo" when he walks in the room or talk about having a (my son's name) so they don't get his germs. He has his books pushed on the floor and snacks stomped on, etc. Last week we had to pick him up early because he threw a pencil at a girl when she said "You are so dumb, why don't you just go back to the special ed room" The school has not done a thing to address this bullying and harrassment in his classroom. My son has even told teachers and principal with us there about this during a school conference. He does have friends at school, just not in his class. Also since this incident, my son has started having issues like making noises, humming, tapping pencils, etc. ONLY IN THE CLASSROOM. This has led to numerous additional problems with the teacher not wanting my son in the room because of the distractions. My son's doctors feel that he is showing anxiety because of the environment. We did request that he be moved to a different classroom but were denied. We would even be in support of him finishing out the year in more of a resource setting rather than the classroom. WE live in a small district..no other middle schools to attend and we didn't want to pull him from his friends.

Because of the incident with the pencil and his not wanting to go home with me (walking fast down the hall the other way instead of with me to the car) when I went to pick him up, the school doesn't think he should go on a 3 day field trip to a conservation camp. His IEP does state that he has a paraprofessional assigned to him if needed but they don't think she is trained to handle him if he doesn't want to do something or gets upset.

Is this legal to not let my son go on this field trip? Don't they have to make some sort of accomodations for his disbility?

We even stated that one of us as parents would go along but they said parents are not allowed. I do know of another student a few years back who has the same diagnosis as my son whose mom made arrangements to go because she is one of the bus drivers for the school. I know this because I was in a school parents group for Autism. At a meeting she talked about how she was concerned because he son had gotten in trouble for flushing all the toilets in the bathroom until they overflowed and a staff member who was unfamiliar with her son came at him and her son got a bit scared and violent. She wanted to make sure someone who understood her son's disability and how he could react if approached the wrong way would be there so she put in to drive for the field trip.

We are asking for the same accomodation.

Any assistance is appreciated.

ajay

Just Blue

Junior Member Join Date: Jul 2008

So I should just continue to let this lady and her kids treat my kids the way they do?

NICE GROUP OF PEOPLE YOU GUYS ARE.... YOu know NOTHIN!

Just another note...their dog came over onto our yard and bit my husband in the leg while he was riding a scooter down our shared driveway. Took a BIG chunk out of my husbands leg...and..he is a wimp because he didn't contact the police, didn't make them pay any of the doctor bills, etc. Good thing my son was sitting on the other side because it would have been HIS leg chomped on...

THESE PEOPLE ARE MEAN!!!!!

I won't have to see her at any family functions...cuz I can't stand to be around her so I don't go.

This isn't a LEGAL advice forum...but an OPINION/HARRASSMENT FORUM.
Find a Criminal Attorney Free Criminal Case Review
Sorry...No one here can help you with your issue...After all we "know nothin".

Have a nice day.

ajayb

Wow. So that is how you work this. You check to see if a person has posted before and how they responded to you. If you don't like them, you black ball them.

Interesting**************.

Mass_Shyster

Wow. So that is how you work this. You check to see if a person has posted before and how they responded to you. If you don't like them, you black ball them.

Interesting**************.
You get what you pay for. This is a free advice board, so anyone is free to not answer you.

Your sense of entitlement is astounding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">