• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer refused to uphold law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

solman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin

Long story kinda made quick, there was an event, they had lots of booths where you got quite a bit of free stuff, they threw out tshirts also. During this time somebody went and pick pocketed what I had in my pocket. Did not get the wallet but then tried walking away. I confronted him and he denied it with the whole 1 hand behind the back thing. He passed it off to a buddy, called security over there, they wouldnt do anything. got the officer on duty at the place and he refused to do anything about it because and I quote. "I am not going to waste my time with the value so small." I then said "That is bull**** because theft is theft and value has no meaning. He then took the cheap way out and kicked me out because I swore. He refused to give me his name or badge number. I then proceeded to call 911 as this was a crime being pick pocketed. They requested I get the officers name and only then would he provide it. He said it so fast I only caught the last part. When I asked him to repeat it he refused and said next time you better listen.

So when the other officer came as I was sitting outside, he said there was nothing he could do as it was a public place and there was to many people to find said person who did the theft. Which I wasnt happy but at least he was nice about it and was very professional. Had really no issues with that part. But the officer that kicked me out wouldnt let me get any info from the guy who stole from me which i made sure we were away from the crowd and I could identify him.

In short that officer refused to do his job due to the value of the items, instead of defusing the situation only escalated it and tried to get myself irate and treated me like crap in short. Is there anything I can do other then file a complaint? I believe he was a Sargent he said but again he said it so fast I could not tell. Any help greatly appreciated, This is not the first time something like this has happened with officers not doing their jobs and blowing myself off, will not be the last im sure.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin

Long story kinda made quick, there was an event, they had lots of booths where you got quite a bit of free stuff, they threw out tshirts also. During this time somebody went and pick pocketed what I had in my pocket. Did not get the wallet but then tried walking away. I confronted him and he denied it with the whole 1 hand behind the back thing. He passed it off to a buddy, called security over there, they wouldnt do anything. got the officer on duty at the place and he refused to do anything about it because and I quote. "I am not going to waste my time with the value so small." I then said "That is bull**** because theft is theft and value has no meaning. He then took the cheap way out and kicked me out because I swore. He refused to give me his name or badge number. I then proceeded to call 911 as this was a crime being pick pocketed. They requested I get the officers name and only then would he provide it. He said it so fast I only caught the last part. When I asked him to repeat it he refused and said next time you better listen.

So when the other officer came as I was sitting outside, he said there was nothing he could do as it was a public place and there was to many people to find said person who did the theft. Which I wasnt happy but at least he was nice about it and was very professional. Had really no issues with that part. But the officer that kicked me out wouldnt let me get any info from the guy who stole from me which i made sure we were away from the crowd and I could identify him.

In short that officer refused to do his job due to the value of the items, instead of defusing the situation only escalated it and tried to get myself irate and treated me like crap in short. Is there anything I can do other then file a complaint? I believe he was a Sargent he said but again he said it so fast I could not tell. Any help greatly appreciated, This is not the first time something like this has happened with officers not doing their jobs and blowing myself off, will not be the last im sure.

Has it occurred to you that it may not be the officers who are the problem here? :confused:

CdwJava

He passed it off to a buddy, called security over there, they wouldnt do anything. got the officer on duty at the place and he refused to do anything about it because and I quote. "I am not going to waste my time with the value so small."
What was the item that was stolen? What was the value?

Did you have to pay for it, or was this some free swag you got from one of the booths/vendors?

I then said "That is bull**** because theft is theft and value has no meaning.
Actually, to be theft the item has to have some value. So, yes, value has meaning. The value may be nominal, but there has to be a value.

In short that officer refused to do his job due to the value of the items, instead of defusing the situation only escalated it and tried to get myself irate and treated me like crap in short. Is there anything I can do other then file a complaint?
Other than making a personnel complaint, what do you think you CAN do?

There is no law that mandates he investigates criminal allegations nor do so competently. Perhaps he should have at least got the guy to give the item back to you, but there is likely no law requiring him to make that effort.

Also, did the other guy admit to taking anything? If he denied it, and the theft of the mystery item was not obvious, there may have been few options available to him.

tranquility

There is no law that mandates he investigates criminal allegations nor do so competently. Perhaps he should have at least got the guy to give the item back to you, but there is likely no law requiring him to make that effort.
In fact, I'd say the cop did the OP a favor.

Say the OP was really incensed and demanded the person be arrested. In fact, with the suspect in hand "detained" already, it would have been easy for the OP to say he was making a citizen's arrest. Then the cop would decide to...well at least there would now be a statute for the officer's options. (Which are usually to arrest, cite and release or just release so it doesn't really change the events on the ground that day.)

But, that would change the long game. See, even though we have a witness (the OP), what are the odds of the suspect being found guilty of grand theft for stealing a doodad from the pocket of the OP and then hand it off to a confederate? I don't think it likely. Especially if the suspect is well defended.

Game over? No. You see, when a cop arrests someone, they are protected from suit if they act reasonably and had probable cause to arrest the person. When a private citizen arrests someone, they have to be right. They don't get the probable cause defense. If the person is not convicted, the OP would stand a real risk of being sued, and losing, for false arrest.

Police officers are useless. That is a valuable lesson you have learned here. The law sort of makes them this way & they have no duty to anyone.

We don't live in the world of Judge Dredd.

solman

Was a tshirt I won, So roughly a $10 value. So moral of the story im getting is that if you are a thief it is okay in these types of environments? Sorry im a little stubborn headed in this but the officer made no attempt to resolve the situation and instead told me the value wasnt enough for his time. I only wanted what was mine back. The person in question was already off to the side with the issue.

Cop basically did nothing and then proceeded to throw me out because i said it was bull**** that the value has no meaning in a case of pick pocketing.

I honestly dont know what I want done, but a normal complaint just doesnt work because issues like this has happened with this officer before from other people. I would like some resolution to this as I feel a crime was committed towards myself and the cop in question refused to do anything about. Which to me is very frustrating as it is saying crime is okay.

tranquility

You grab a guy and say he stole your t-shirt. You had him from the first moment you felt the loss. Security detains with you and police called. Everyone looks at the situation and see the guy you grabbed doesn't have the T-shirt on him.

"But, I EXPLAINED that." says the exasperated solman. "He handed it off to his confederate." Except that we can't find the confederate or the shirt and the guy you grabbed says he doesn't know what you're talking about, what do you want to happen?

Hot Topic

You grabbed a FREE t-shirt before someone else did. You therefore STOLE it from another person who wanted it but didn't move as fast as you.

Are you nuts?

solman

He physically went into my pocket and stole it, This had nothing to do with fighting over stuff being thrown out. Physically went into my pocket. Just to clarify again. I felt his hand in my pocket when he did it.

He physically went into my pocket and stole it, This had nothing to do with fighting over stuff being thrown out. Physically went into my pocket. Just to clarify again. I felt his hand in my pocket when he did it.
OK. You got us. The gigs up every one and thanks for all the help. I admitt it. We set the whole thing up. The guy that swiped the shirt, the phony cop, the other bystanders; they were all paid actors that we hired just to get your goat. Even this website was set up just for you. Even sent a few members to law school years ago just to make it look real.
But hey, you out smarted us again....
Congrads.

CdwJava

Police officers are useless. That is a valuable lesson you have learned here. The law sort of makes them this way & they have no duty to anyone.

We don't live in the world of Judge Dredd.
Would you prefer it if the officer could have simply beat the guy down and arrested him with nothing more than the say-so of the accuser?

The police are expected to act within the confines of the law. As Tranquility eloquently explained, the officer COULD have acted (assuming the OP's state has a private person's arrest law) and made the arrest on the OP's say-so, but he would be free and clear of civil liability for the arrest and the OP could very well have been sued for a false arrest.

There have been many instances where the police KNOW someone committed a crime but could not act because they lacked the probable cause or lawful authority to do so. It happens.

CdwJava

Was a tshirt I won, So roughly a $10 value. So moral of the story im getting is that if you are a thief it is okay in these types of environments?
No, a theft almost certainly occurred. However, the police can only make an arrest based upon probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed and that the person they intend to arrest has committed the crime. No shirt, a denial, and no identity of the confederate can make for a weak claim. As mentioned by Tranq, had the officer accepted your private person's arrest you could have been open to a civil suit for a false arrest.

Sorry im a little stubborn headed in this but the officer made no attempt to resolve the situation and instead told me the value wasnt enough for his time. I only wanted what was mine back. The person in question was already off to the side with the issue.
Yeah, maybe the officer COULD have done more, but there was apparently nothing to go on. You said the guy stole the shirt, the guy said he didn't. You might have been right, but there was nothing the officer could act upon without potentially risking his own career. Sorry, your $10 T-shirt is probably not worth the possibility of a civil rights claim against him.

I honestly dont know what I want done, but a normal complaint just doesnt work because issues like this has happened with this officer before from other people. I would like some resolution to this as I feel a crime was committed towards myself and the cop in question refused to do anything about. Which to me is very frustrating as it is saying crime is okay.
You can call the agency and complain. You can write a letter to the editor of the local paper. You can speak to the Chief of Police. You can speak to the city council. There are many things you can do if you want to. But, charging or suing the officer for not arresting the accused thief do not appear to be among the options.

solman

Thanks CdwJava for explaining a little bit, thing is the officer said it wasnt worth his time because of the value of the item, he didnt confront the person in question who did the pick pocket.

He refused to talk to him, confront him, question him or anything. Just said "I am not going to waste my time because of the value". Which to me yes im upset and mad about what happened, but the officer not doing anything and basically blowing me off with that comment and does nothing. Yea that I am more offended over that then the actual guy pick pocketing me. Its like he did not want to take my complaint seriously about a crime that was committed proof or not. That is just how I felt and still feel.

When he then proceeded to kick me out and I asked him for identification he refused to provide it. He wouldnt of provided it if I did not call the operator at which point they requested it.

Just the way it all went down its unprofessional in my view. He escalated my frustration over the crime committed against me and then proceeded to use his authority and power as an officer. That is something I am offended by and want resolution to, whatever terms that may mean.

Last edited:

solman

OK. You got us. The gigs up every one and thanks for all the help. I admitt it. We set the whole thing up. The guy that swiped the shirt, the phony cop, the other bystanders; they were all paid actors that we hired just to get your goat. Even this website was set up just for you. Even sent a few members to law school years ago just to make it look real.
But hey, you out smarted us again....
Congrads.
You grabbed a FREE t-shirt before someone else did. You therefore STOLE it from another person who wanted it but didn't move as fast as you.

Are you nuts?
maybe i need to quote people.. but my reply was into that comment. So I was clarifying what happened. Thanks for the trolling though! Appreciate it InsaneJane

CdwJava

Thanks CdwJava for explaining a little bit, thing is the officer said it wasnt worth his time because of the value of the item, he didnt confront the person in question who did the pick pocket.
Maybe to the officer it was not. SHOULD he have made some inquiry? Probably.

This is why a personnel complaint is the best path to take. If the officer is shirking his duties, the agency would probably like to know.

Just the way it all went down its unprofessional in my view. He escalated my frustration over the crime committed against me and then proceeded to use his authority and power as an officer. That is something I am offended by and want resolution to, whatever terms that may mean.
Just more reason to complain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">