• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA concealed carry permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LILMISSMACK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa, NY

hello, if I have a LTCF in PA, would I be able to conceal carry in NY who have stricter LTCF rules and guidelines as to who can carry or conceal? (Im sorry its called a CCW in NY)

What if I move to NY, would I be able to keep my permit and gun?

Last edited:

justalayman

from what I have found, your PA permit is not accepted in NY.

If you move to NY, you will have to apply for a permit in NY.

tranquility

hello, if I have a LTCF in PA, would I be able to conceal carry in NY who have stricter LTCF rules and guidelines as to who can carry or conceal?
No. New York does not have a reciprocity agreement with Pennsylvania. [http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184]

What if I move to NY, would I be able to keep my permit and gun?
Usually permits are for residents, but you can check the rules for yours. The gun? Of course. It's just you might not be able to keep it in New York, depending on where you mean.

justalayman

and from what I have read, NY is extremely strict about their gun laws. I recall something about when moving to NY you have to surrender all weapons and apply for permits to own and or carry. Can't remember the specifics though but I would act with all regard to their laws. Learn them before you go there with a gun, either as a resident, non-resident, or moving there.

Silverplum

and from what I have read, NY is extremely strict about their gun laws. I recall something about when moving to NY you have to surrender all weapons and apply for permits to own and or carry. Can't remember the specifics though but I would act with all regard to their laws. Learn them before you go there with a gun, either as a resident, non-resident, or moving there.
Yes, they are VERY strict, even with military members.

LILMISSMACK

New York does issue permits for non-residents.

actually, many states do.
NY is not a "shall issue" state, and do not allow for just any ole person to CC. you have to have a damn good reason to want to. (and even then you are not guaranteed to get a permit. )

LILMISSMACK

I kinda thought it was a constitutional right to have guns, I understand about restricting from felons, and severly mentally incapable, but for your regular Joe?

justalayman

NY is not a "shall issue" state, and do not allow for just any ole person to CC. you have to have a damn good reason to want to. (and even then you are not guaranteed to get a permit. )
I am completely aware of that and do not believe I suggested anything to the contrary. The are what is considered a "may issue" (as opposed to "shall issue") for both residents and non-residents.

justalayman

I kinda thought it was a constitutional right to have guns, I understand about restricting from felons, and severly mentally incapable, but for your regular Joe?
so far the rights of the state to regulate gun ownership has not been determined to be a violation of your rights. I suppose if some state becomes so restrictive in their regulations that it is a de facto denial of your rights, somebody will challenge their laws.

LILMISSMACK

I am completely aware of that and do not believe I suggested anything to the contrary. The are what is considered a "may issue" (as opposed to "shall issue") for both residents and non-residents.
I guess it just means I wont be going to NY. :( to live. Seems to me, ny would be the most important shall issue state, what with all the violence and whatnot.)

LILMISSMACK

so far the rights of the state to regulate gun ownership has not been determined to be a violation of your rights. I suppose if some state becomes so restrictive in their regulations that it is a de facto denial of your rights, somebody will challenge their laws.

per my research on the matter, IL is the only absolutely no guns state... (besides like 2 other territories)

Every state in the Atlantic NE is a "may issue" state. The only states in all of America to be that way (ok, besides AL and CA residents only)

CA is funny, due to all the gun violence there, I would have thought (Again) it would be a Shall issue state...

LILMISSMACK

OK< one more thing, do the FEDS have a licensing agreement with all states, and can I get a gun license from ATF directly that will be acceptable in all states? I have read over their site and forms, but none have anything to do with private ownership (besides relic and antique)

justalayman

per my research on the matter, IL is the only absolutely no guns state... (besides like 2 other territories)

Every state in the Atlantic NE is a "may issue" state. The only states in all of America to be that way (ok, besides AL and CA residents only)

CA is funny, due to all the gun violence there, I would have thought (Again) it would be a Shall issue state...
Illinois is not a no gun state. It is a no carry state. They also do not allow carry in their state from a resident with a carry permit from any other state.

Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and PA are all shall issue states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">