• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Peer-Review in Science, Discrimination and Public Interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyStreet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

This question concerns scientific peer-review. It is quite usual for a science journal to protect the status quo by using the peer-review system. Peer-review system is necessary but that type of protection is abusing it. Needless to say that advancement in science cannot be achieved by organized maintenance of this kind of biased, dishonest and abusive kind of peer-review. Unfortunately, the academic science nowadays is becoming more and more hermetic, significantly aided by deformed peer-review, which enables the perpetration of wrong ideas to be presented as real science. If some additional layers of accountability aren't found, outside of said hermeticism, there will no hope for science, especially physics, to be rescued from the dead-end it finds itself in nowadays.

It is highly unusual to seek relief through the legal system to resolve the above problem, despite the fact that it does seem to fall into the realm of violation of civil rights, freedom of speech and discrimination. Unfortunately, that problem has grown to such an extent that the time has come to seek some unusual, non-traditional ways, to bring back reason and scientific method to the realm of science, for its own benefit and progress, as well as, for the benefit and progress of the society as a whole.

Thus, I'd like to explore what legal options could there be, realizing that such option may be new to jurisprudence as well.

I'd start with my layman's idea that probably there would be a way to have a law firm submit to a science journal your scientific paper in your name, having all the follow-up correspondence with the journal go through that firm. This very much resembles the modern way of submitting, say, a song to a music producing company but I'm not sure it has ever been done in science. One difference is that in science most typically the author is either not paid anything or is even asked to pay for the publishing of his or her work, unlike a musician who expects to be paid for it and extract further revenue from it. This lack of business perspective, I guess, has made scientific creativity uninteresting for law firms to get involved. Personal gain lacking, scientific pursuit, however, can sometimes be of significant societal impact and preventing its dissemination may harm society substantially. Therefore, I feel that correcting the functioning of such dissemination needs to be looked into.

Involvement of a law firm as an intermediary between the author and the scientific journal will make the author and his or her arguments be taken seriously and not be treated as some weak party under the control of an almighty publisher, holding all the possible control of what is and what isn't in science, resorting sometimes to ludicrous arguments to avoid publishing the unwanted, no matter how correct an needed by science, text.

Thus, science journals, exercising the practice of outright ignoring a submission, will be on alert that such ignoring may not remain without consequences.

Also, it will hardly be as easy as it is today for a science journal to reject a paper for publication with ridiculous arguments such as "the theory whose validity the author doubts has already been tested and all the tests have confirmed its validity". Such journals have to receive a serious reminder, a reminder that will not only pass from one ear and out the other, that contribution to science isn't contained in confirming a given theory but is in finding examples, if any, that contradict it. A law firm will remind in no uncertain terms this fundamental requirement of scientific research and may bring about legal actions (what exact legal actions?) to restore the correct scientific approach of the journal.

While, when it regards a journal enjoying public funding, above restoring of things may seem easier, one question which may appear is, is an entirely private journal entitled to publish anything it pleases, including stupid things. Intuitively, should the journal be in violation of the general principles of the US Constitution, one may answer in the positive. However, it would be trickier to answer that question if the privately owned science journal in question has a vast impact on society.

With the above I tried to scratch the surface of the problem of proper dissemination of knowledge (by proper I mean through channels which society takes a note of because they are backed by the authorities of the day; setting up one's own journal and publishing in it won't cut the mustard). My question is what are, from a legal perspective, the possibilities of such interaction with scientific journals through intermediary law firm and what further measures may be taken by the law firm when the principles of science are unilaterally violated by scientific journals, which their editors themselves being corrupt, use as a tool corrupt peer-review?

Last edited:

CrosbyStreet

How about requiring a deposition before a judge of the Editor-in-Chief, asking, say, the question: can there be a situation whereby 1 = 2? The Editor-in-Chief must answer the question in the positive, in order to sustain rejection of the paper for publication -- criticism of the theory, which is the gist of the paper, is exactly this point, namely, that the equality 1 = 2 is never possible. If he or she does do that (answers the question in the positive), however, it opens up an immediate opportunity for a court case -- the Editor-in-Chief now must prove in court and possibly before a jury that there can be a case whereby 1 = 2. Does this now seem plausible?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How about requiring a deposition before a judge of the Editor-in-Chief, asking, say, the question: can there be a situation whereby 1 = 2? The Editor-in-Chief must answer the question in the positive, in order to sustain rejection of the paper for publication -- criticism of the theory, which is the gist of the paper, is exactly this point, namely, that the equality 1 = 2 is never possible. If he or she does do that (answers the question in the positive), however, it opens up an immediate opportunity for a court case -- the Editor-in-Chief now must prove in court and possibly before a jury that there can be a case whereby 1 = 2. Does this now seem plausible?
No. You wouldn't even get to depositions (which are NOT before a judge by the way) because you do not have a claim whereupon relief can be granted. If you want published, start your own journal.

CrosbyStreet

I already discussed the inappropriateness of starting my own journal. That's not the issue here. The important point is do I really "do not have a claim whereupon relief can be granted." How about, unjust treatment, censorship, unjustified violation the right for free speech and expression, deliberate silencing of mandatory criticism, preventing new developments from being disseminated to the scientific community, intellectual discrimination, violation of academic freedom, a science journal allowing violation of scientific method, supporting incorrect science, diminishing my scientific reputation and punitive damages as a result of that, pain and suffering etc. I know you'll bring back the question how am I personally affected and the answer can be sought in what I just said above.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I already discussed the inappropriateness of starting my own journal. That's not the issue here. The important point is do I really "do not have a claim whereupon relief can be granted." How about, unjust treatment, censorship, unjustified violation the right for free speech and expression, deliberate silencing of mandatory criticism, preventing new developments from being disseminated to the scientific community, intellectual discrimination, violation of academic freedom, a science journal allowing violation of scientific method, supporting incorrect science, diminishing my scientific reputation and punitive damages as a result of that, pain and suffering etc. I know you'll bring back the question how am I personally affected and the answer can be sought in what I just said above.
Shall we go through this one by one?
Unjust treatment -- not a claim upon which relief can be granted by a court.
Censorship -- not illegal UNLESS by the government.
Violation of the right for free speech and expression -- you have free speech and expression. Nothing is stopping you from publishing your work elsewhere or starting your own journal to espouse your views
Deliberate silencing of mandatory criticism -- not a claim upon which relief can be granted by a court and not illegal
preventing new developments from being disseminated to the scientific community -- no they aren't; they are choosing not to publish you but that isn't stopping you from disseminating your ideas
intellectual discrimination -- not illegal and not a claim upon which relief can be granted by a court
violation of academic freedom -- not illegal and not a claim upon which relief can be granted by a court
science journal allowing violation of scientific method -- not illegal and not a claim upon which relief can be granted by a court
supporting incorrect science -- not illegal and not a claim upon which relief can be granted by a court
diminishing my scientific reputation and punitive damages as a result of that, pain and suffering etc -- what diminishing by refusing to publish? And there is no punitive damages and pain and suffering that can be awarded for your hurt feelings.

So therefore, YOU DO NOT HAVE A WINNABLE LAWSUIT. You have a frivolous one. You have one which will cost you scads of money. But you don't have one you will win because you do NOT have a constitutional right to be published by this journal. You have no right to be published actually.

CrosbyStreet

Let's leave my own personal relief for now and focus on "Censorship -- not illegal UNLESS by the government." A journal published by a society, mainly supported by public money, damages public interest by maintaining theories which have at its basis the wrong equality 1 = 2 falls under that category, doesn't it? Shouldn't there be relief from that letting the damage to continue unaccounted for? Damage to the public interest by said activity of the journal is expressed both in distorting the public worldview, as a result of its high impact on society, by promoting theories arriving from the obvious nonsense that 1 = 2 as big discoveries, and in wasteful spending of billions through grants which should've never been awarded, infrastructures which should've never been built, to further the dead-end science perpetrated by the journal in question. Won't courts be concerned w/ such damage and assist in its relief?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Let's leave my own personal relief for now and focus on "Censorship -- not illegal UNLESS by the government." A journal published by a society, mainly supported by public money, damages public interest by maintaining theories which have at its basis the wrong equality 1 = 2 falls under that category, doesn't it? Shouldn't there be relief from that letting the damage to continue unaccounted for? Damage to the public interest by said activity of the journal is expressed both in distorting the public worldview, as a result of its high impact on society, by promoting theories arriving from the obvious nonsense that 1 = 2 as big discoveries, and in wasteful spending of billions through grants which should've never been awarded, infrastructures which should've never been built, to further the dead-end science perpetrated by the journal in question. Won't courts be concerned w/ such damage and assist in its relief?
No. A journal is NOT the government. You do NOT have a right to be published by someone else. PUBLISH YOURSELF. End of story.

CrosbyStreet

Now, this I don't understand. The government pays w/ public money for a journal to exist and you're telling me the journal isn't the government. Without government there will be no journal. You mean, the government is allowed to pay for an entity damaging public interest, that is, the interest the government is supposed to protect? Explain please.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Now, this I don't understand. The government pays w/ public money for a journal to exist and you're telling me the journal isn't the government. Without government there will be no journal. You mean, the government is allowed to pay for an entity damaging public interest, that is, the interest the government is supposed to protect? Explain please.
Fine. You are right. Go hire an attorney and sue them forever so that you can then publish what you want in the journal. What is it you want? You apparently think you have all the answers so nothing anyone else says is going to satisfy you because you just want to argue.

CrosbyStreet

See, it's not that I want to publish just anything and do it through the court system. It appears you're reading me wrong. My intention is different. I've spotted a grave problem which severely harms public interest (never mind my private interest for now, as I said) and there's an obvious severe resistance to straighten that out. In addition, that grave problem is generously sustained w/ our money as taxpayers. Thus, I'm looking for ways to crack that nut open and hold that self-serving entity (the journal) accountable. Isn't that something which any concerned citizen is supposed to do? I should again emphasize that publishing in that specific journal is the only way to get this problem disseminated. There's no other way to do that, despite the appearance otherwise.

OHRoadwarrior

You have one example. I know of many. There are many so called professional organizations and think tanks that publish purely misleading facts and conclusions. Politics is full of them. Even GAO reports are slanted by the information they present, since the politicians intentionally structure bills to have a certifiable outcome that has little if no bearing on actual long term reality.

See, it's not that I want to publish just anything and do it through the court system. It appears you're reading me wrong. My intention is different. I've spotted a grave problem which severely harms public interest (never mind my private interest for now, as I said) and there's an obvious severe resistance to straighten that out. In addition, that grave problem is generously sustained w/ our money as taxpayers. Thus, I'm looking for ways to crack that nut open and hold that self-serving entity (the journal) accountable. Isn't that something which any concerned citizen is supposed to do? I should again emphasize that publishing in that specific journal is the only way to get this problem disseminated. There's no other way to do that, despite the appearance otherwise.

CrosbyStreet

"I know of many." Can you name at least one as blatant as the claim that 1 = 2 foisted to an extent of wasting billions of taxpayer dollars?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">