• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal problem at apartment complex office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bballsoccergreg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I often visit the office at my apartment complex to job hunt, get coffee, check mail, tan, etc. One of the main employees has a personal vendetta(i'm an attractive white male?) against me, and I honestly have no clue why. She ignores me, looks away, tries not to interact, and just overall shun me. I'm an extremely nice conversational person that has done nothing wrong, and I'm often making jokes with various members of the community. I normally go into tan at the end of the day (they close at 6 on weekdays) so I normally get in there around 5:45 to tan for 10 12 minutes. Not once have I ever left the building after 5:59. NOT ONCE. Normally 5:57 or so. I go about my business clean up after myself and bother noone. Everyone in the office says hi and asks how I'm doing, other than her. Today I went in to tan at 42 after and she had printed a piece of paper on the door that read, "No tanning after 5:40. Thank you for understanding. " As I walked by her she chuckled, so its obvious she was getting some joy out of it. Best I can guess is that she wants to close up shop early so she can leave early. If they are open till 6, do I not have the right to stay until 5:59, since as an employee she is getting paid to work till 6? I think she is best friends with the main agent on site(I have no qualms with her either) so I feel as if she would back her up. I have not inconvenienced anyone. What can I do? I feel like she would be quick to call the cops or say I'm disturbing the peace or something. Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I often visit the office at my apartment complex to job hunt, get coffee, check mail, tan, etc. One of the main employees has a personal vendetta(i'm an attractive white male?) against me, and I honestly have no clue why. She ignores me, looks away, tries not to interact, and just overall shun me. I'm an extremely nice conversational person that has done nothing wrong, and I'm often making jokes with various members of the community. I normally go into tan at the end of the day (they close at 6 on weekdays) so I normally get in there around 5:45 to tan for 10 12 minutes. Not once have I ever left the building after 5:59. NOT ONCE. Normally 5:57 or so. I go about my business clean up after myself and bother noone. Everyone in the office says hi and asks how I'm doing, other than her. Today I went in to tan at 42 after and she had printed a piece of paper on the door that read, "No tanning after 5:40. Thank you for understanding. " As I walked by her she chuckled, so its obvious she was getting some joy out of it. Best I can guess is that she wants to close up shop early so she can leave early. If they are open till 6, do I not have the right to stay until 5:59, since as an employee she is getting paid to work till 6? I think she is best friends with the main agent on site(I have no qualms with her either) so I feel as if she would back her up. I have not inconvenienced anyone. What can I do? I feel like she would be quick to call the cops or say I'm disturbing the peace or something. Thanks.
If she is alone in the office and you're Mr. Friendly, she may well be uncomfortable. I work in a place where I am routinely alone at the end of the day, and I'm wary of guys who come in alone - friendly or not.

Try going in earlier, when others are there - better for both of you. Since you're job hunting, it doesn't seem you are constrained by a 9-5 job. Go get your tan on earlier in the day. This is not rocket science.

anearthw

If she is alone in the office and you're Mr. Friendly, she may well be uncomfortable. I work in a place where I am routinely alone at the end of the day, and I'm wary of guys who come in alone - friendly or not.

Try going in earlier, when others are there - better for both of you. Since you're job hunting, it doesn't seem you are constrained by a 9-5 job. Go get your tan on earlier in the day. This is not rocket science.
When I was a teen girl, I got robbed at knifepoint by a friendly guy who kept visiting right before closing hours to make sure nobody would be there. Quite honestly, this girl sounds like she's a bit nervous being alone and principle of closing time or not, is there any law or clause that REQUIRES that you may use the facility until 5:59? Check your lease. Pointing out you a friendly, attractive male who likes to talk makes me think you're creeping her out (just a female point of view).

LeeHarveyBlotto

If they are open till 6, do I not have the right to stay until 5:59, since as an employee she is getting paid to work till 6?
No, you have no such right. If she is performing her duties in a way you don't approve of, your recourse is to complain to her employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">