• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Conduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sKiTzo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I live in Orange County Ca and the police gestapo situation has gotton way out of control. They routinely smash our 4th amendment and other rights and make arrests that would otherwise not have been possible by lying in their reports. It's their word against ours. Well, after the recent Fullerton beating death of a homeless man by Fullerton's finest in which murder charges were filed as well as a number of cases where police were caught planting evidence, I think it is time that our courts make it clear to the jurors that their word is no better than ours. Here is my question: I am tired of simple traffic stops turning into hour-long ordeals sitting on the curb just because I have "been arrested before". They abuse their power and get away with it 99% of the time. Are police allowed to ask this during a stop for a broken tailllight? Aren't they supposed to just give me a ticket and move on? There are a number of agencies across the nation that are required to use head cams that the police wear and they are not allowed to turn off the cams for the duration of the call/incident. I believe this is the simple answer to the overzealous Barney Fifes out there who think it's ok to lie on the police reports. If they are not doing anything wrong they shouldn't object to wearing them. How can we lobby to bring headcams to our local police agencies? Can I start a petition with thousands of signatures? I will personally obtain the signatures. How can we do this? Where do I start?

CdwJava

Here is my question: I am tired of simple traffic stops turning into hour-long ordeals sitting on the curb just because I have "been arrested before".
Are you on probation or parole?

Are police allowed to ask this during a stop for a broken tailllight?
They can ask anything they want. However, you do not have to answer them.

Aren't they supposed to just give me a ticket and move on?
If they want.

Understand that the police find more wanted criminals on traffic stops than in any other activity including fugitive warrant sweeps.

There are a number of agencies across the nation that are required to use head cams that the police wear and they are not allowed to turn off the cams for the duration of the call/incident. I believe this is the simple answer to the overzealous Barney Fifes out there who think it's ok to lie on the police reports. If they are not doing anything wrong they shouldn't object to wearing them. How can we lobby to bring headcams to our local police agencies?
Do you have any idea how much that would cost? The most effective such cams are more expensive than vehicle cameras. The logistics and expenses involved in these devices are huge. If you want to petition the state to legislate for that, understand that in CA the law would have to be revenue neutral. In other words, you would have to identify funding for it. In a state that is broke, what programs would you cut in order to pay for a program that could cost millions at the outset and hundreds of thousands to maintain annually?

sKiTzo

Are you on probation or parole?

That's just it, no I am not and they still ask me to "step out of the car" for no reason. I'm not talking about the strictly traffic cops I'm referring to non traffic cops that pull people over all day just "fishing". I'm tired of it and I don't trust them. They planted an ounce of MDMA in the back of my friends truck bed. He says there was no MDMA or any type of drugs in his truck and I believe him - he has no reason to lie to me i.e. if he had it he would tell me.

If they want.

Understand that the police find more wanted criminals on traffic stops than in any other activity including fugitive warrant sweeps.

If it were just about finding fugitives that's fine by me they can run my name - I expect that. It's the detainment and harassment that follows - I'm not ok with it because they seem so desperate - I don't know if it's job security or they watch too many cop movies but a significant number of them (most certainly not all of them) go beyond what their job was intended for and need to be checked or find another job. The more they are tolerated the worse it will get.

Do you have any idea how much that would cost? The most effective such cams are more expensive than vehicle cameras. The logistics and expenses involved in these devices are huge. If you want to petition the state to legislate for that, understand that in CA the law would have to be revenue neutral. In other words, you would have to identify funding for it. In a state that is broke, what programs would you cut in order to pay for a program that could cost millions at the outset and hundreds of thousands to maintain annually?
We have a helicopter that buzzes around doing nothing but disturbing the peace. Do you have any idea how much THAT costs? BTW thank you for your replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">