• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police giving away my private info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My local police chief gave me police reports with someone else's social security number on them, and gave this other person police reports with my social security number on them. This other person he gave my social security number to has a long criminal record which includes theft. I live in a small town and reported this to the mayor who decided it won't go to a Police Disciplinary Committee. In fact, the letter I got from the mayor does not even address the issue of social security numbers, it worded in a very "tricky" manner. I keep getting e-mails from this other party saying she knows everything about me and is going to destroy my life. Please tell me what I can do, or what kind of lawsuit this would be. (as in the technical term for police violating my privacy) thanks

swalsh411

Block the email address of the person emailing you. This takes 10 seconds. If they continue to harrass you, file a police report.

OHRoadwarrior

File a police report. This will protect you down the road and document the threats. I would politely request the chief to send out an officer to "discuss" the emails with the other party, in light of the circumstances.

CdwJava

And, of course, you cannot sue for damages that MIGHT occur.

As was suggested, make a police report of the threat and see what comes of it. Maybe nothing will. Also keep a close eye on your credit. Perhaps now is a good time to get involved with a fraud protection services, just to be safe.

While it is likely that the police SHOULD have redacted both of your SS information, there may be cause of action here ... yet. If you suffer damages and it can be linked back to the release of your SSN then maybe you would have some cause of action against the city. Maybe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">