• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible police misconduct?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BecBri

Sorry I messed this up, first post

I work for a local police department. My husband works for the local school district. A few weeks ago three of his female students came to my house and battered him. My husband called the police but did not want them arrested at time of incident. My husband reported the incident first thing the next day to Principal and there was no issue. The next day the Assistant Superintendent met with my husband and put him on administrative leave pending investigation of a report from police but wouldn't say anything about details of the allegation. We put in a FOIA request and there is no complainant, the students never made an allegation yet the report is marked as active investigation. My husband has been out of work for almost two weeks. I have had harassment issues with someone in administration and it is my belief although I cannot prove it that he is calling for an investigation to harass me my trying to falsely prosecute my husband. Is this malicious prosecution or abuse of process and do we have any recourse? We live in Illinois.

quincy

I work for a local police department. My husband works for the local school district. A few weeks ago three of his female students came to my house and battered him. My husband called the police but did not want them arrested at time of incident. My husband reported the incident first thing the next day to Principal and there was no issue. The next day the Assistant Superintendent met with my husband and put him on administrative leave pending investigation of a report from police but wouldn't say anything about details of the allegation. We put in a FOIA request and there is no complainant, the students never made an allegation yet the report is marked as active investigation. My husband has been out of work for almost two weeks. I have had harassment issues with someone in administration and it is my belief although I cannot prove it that he is calling for an investigation to harass me my trying to falsely prosecute my husband. Is this malicious prosecution or abuse of process and do we have any recourse? We live in Illinois.
No. What you describe is not malicious prosecution or an abuse of process. It is an investigation.

CdwJava

I work for a local police department. My husband works for the local school district. A few weeks ago three of his female students came to my house and battered him. My husband called the police but did not want them arrested at time of incident. My husband reported the incident first thing the next day to Principal and there was no issue. The next day the Assistant Superintendent met with my husband and put him on administrative leave pending investigation of a report from police but wouldn't say anything about details of the allegation.
That could be standard procedure for any incident arising from a staff-student conflict.

They may be wondering - as am I - why three students would go to his/your house and just decide to assault him. It begs the question, "What else is going on?" Maybe nothing, but, it is sufficiently peculiar enough to warrant a longer look into the matter.

We put in a FOIA request and there is no complainant, the students never made an allegation yet the report is marked as active investigation.
I'd wager that the personnel rules in your husband's school district do not require a student complaint for the administration to investigate potential misconduct involving staff and students. And, given the circumstances, this seems a head scratcher as to why it happened.

My husband has been out of work for almost two weeks. I have had harassment issues with someone in administration and it is my belief although I cannot prove it that he is calling for an investigation to harass me my trying to falsely prosecute my husband. Is this malicious prosecution or abuse of process and do we have any recourse? We live in Illinois.
I don't see a prosecution, yet, so it's certainly not any form of "malicious prosecution." And I don't see anything that indicates it might be an abuse pf process. You are free to answer questions if you wish. Your husband can also decline to answer questions. However, his refusal to cooperate with the investigation could result in negative consequences.

Why did these three girls come to your house to attack your husband? Did they make some other claim? Or, did they admit that they came over just to thump a grown man for some strange reason?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">