• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Law in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TravelPerson

The private company collected my name and address and keeps in their database. This information in their database is being picked up by internet search engines thereby violating my privacy. The company refused to remove my information from their database and to even disassociate my name from this record claiming that this is publicly available information. Do they have a right to keep my information even if I want to opt-out of their database?

TravelPerson

What do you mean by they don't have to forget things I told them? I did not tell them anything. They collected my name and address from the county public records. And they claim that they are protected by the 1st amendment. I have now filed complaints with the state attorney and federal trade commission. What else can I do against this company?

Proserpina

What do you mean by they don't have to forget things I told them? I did not tell them anything. They collected my name and address from the county public records. And they claim that they are protected by the 1st amendment. I have now filed complaints with the state attorney and federal trade commission. What else can I do against this company?

And that's your problem right there.

Your name isn't private.

TravelPerson

My name is not private but I don't want the whole world to know my address. Are you saying that my address is not private also?

Not everybody's address is searchable by Google but mine is because of this company.

I'mTheFather

Oh, I'm sure you can file a complaint. I'm also sure nothing will be done about it. Your info is public. That company's database just made you a little easier to find. Sorry.

Proserpina

My name is not private but I don't want the whole world to know my address. Are you saying that my address is not private also?

Not everybody's address is searchable by Google but mine is because of this company.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Your address is not considered private or protected information.

Antigone*

Your name and address are not private information.

CdwJava

If they obtained the information from public records, then no confidentiality will apply.

Sorry.

Heck, even MY information is out there and there ain't nothing I can do about it and state law makes it a crime to knowingly distribute that info about a peace officer. But, because my name, address, and other records are obtained through otherwise public records, it's legal.

TravelPerson

OK, I hear you. Last question: this company told me that I can call the county and ask them to take my information out from their database. I don't think that the county will agree to take me out from their database. Am I right?

And, does anyone know if there is a way to block the search results of this company from search engines like Google and Bing?

Proserpina

OK, I hear you. Last question: this company told me that I can call the county and ask them to take my information out from their database. I don't think that the county will agree to take me out from their database. Am I right?

I think that's accurate, yes.

And, does anyone know if there is a way to block the search results of this company from search engines like Google and Bing?

Not as far as I'm aware, in your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">